I really need answers! Important

1. Jayfeather9 Well Known Member Member

okay sorry for starting a new thread but the other one got really confusing.
    so the problem is that recca has had finrot for 2 months and i hasnt been getting any better nor worse. i really need to breed him for that is a school project and it needs to be done in the next 2 weeks. right now his fin is half gone and extremely jagged. there is a little bit of white on the edges and i cant tell if its finrot or tail biting due to his coloration.
    so is it possible to breed him with Fire my female? will it put her and the babies at risk?
    it's too late to change my project and i dont want to fail.
    I'll see if I can post some pictures tonight. that is if my camera cooperates.

2. fishy friend2 Member Member

typically Finrot doesnt last that long without having a major effect on the tail and reaching the base, I would more so expect it to be a tailbiting issue, or plastic plants ripping the fins, if the edges are fuzzy and white then it actually could be finrot

also, youre aware that the conditioning part of breeding bettas takes around 2 weeks, right? may I ask your proccess in breeding them ? I just wanted to make sure that nothing would go down in a bad way, resulting in a potentially ruined project with a bad grade

3. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Hi,

Finrot that doesn't go away... that sounds more like tail biting to me. I've bred biters before without any issue. They sometimes didn't make the best of parents though. Don't you have any other males to breed?

4. Jayfeather9 Well Known Member Member

Pics
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. fishy friend2 Member Member

looks like a tail biter to me.

6. Jayfeather9 Well Known Member Member

I have thought of getting another male but i have 2 females and recca so no more room or tanks...though i would love to do so.

7. fishy friend2 Member Member

are you planning to raise the fry to adulthood? if so then you should have a log with your progress

8. Jayfeather9 Well Known Member Member

yes i plan to raise them to adult hood and i have set up a thread for a log under betta breeding.

9. fishy friend2 Member Member

what kind of tank are you planning on raisnig them to adultdooh too? im getting resources for betta breeding so I wanted to know from someone who is getting ready to, what size tank I should raise them in, I always though 20 gallon long, do agree or should I go lower or higher

10. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

to breed bettas, they need to be conditioned for a few weeks prior...he looks in no condition for breeding :( ....if he is a tail biter, some new distractions will help curb that...whether it be an air stone, floating toys/tunnels, new plants etc, can help allot....but to me, it looks like fin rot....tail biters dont have issues with their ventrals, dorsil, or anal fins ...usually just their caudal fins as thats all they can reach....fin rot takes a few weeks of a proper diet, prestine water conditions, fish protector, stress coat, and added garlic (how I healed mine) ...good luck with him and whatever you decide....

11. Jayfeather9 Well Known Member Member

so do i have the green flag to breed him? it wont kill the fry or fire right? if yes than i better introduce them for a few days then put them together...

im breeding in a 10 gallon and when the fry are old enough moving half into another 10 gallon. though if you can get a 20 go for it.

12. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

breeding him could kill him

13. fishy friend2 Member Member

Do you know how to properly condtion bettas? it sounds like you dont honestly.

http://www.bettasrus.net/bcorner/conditioning.htm

14. Jayfeather9 Well Known Member Member

yes i have spent weeks of research for this spring break. (no joke)
    I know that it takes a few weeks to condition. though i was gonna condition him two weeks ago but his tail didnt heal in time so know im still trying to heal him..

also i have had recca since november and he only got his fins like this in january.

15. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

if you are looking at failing then I think you need to go get a new one.

16. Jayfeather9 Well Known Member Member

I would do that but I wouldn't be allowed to set up another tank. I have tried to see if I can but it's always no. I I could though I would absolutely get a new male.

17. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

if I had to choose between a failing grade and getting an A, I'd get an A.

18. Jayfeather9 Well Known Member Member

okay im really pressing my parents now. my moms ok with it as long as i put Recca in a vase....Im not looking forward to that but it's a must. Im trying to convince my dad if he can bring me to a really high grade fish store tomorrow. Ugh im all fine with this but poor recca in a vase.
    Anyone got any idea how to keep him warm if im not allowed a heater?

19. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Sounds like you've already made the decision, but I would never ever ever breed a sick/stressed fish and a tail biter is a sick/stressed fish.

Bettas need heaters. Period.

I'm curious, did you sign up for this assignment or was it just given to you.....

Why are you insisting on a really high grade fish store? Go to a regular store, save some money and get Recca a decent tank and heater.

Sigh.... a vase?

20. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

It looks to me that you are only wanting someone to say yes to your project when in all reality it's a horrible school project.

You have a betta with finrot and/or tail biting issues and are pushing to breed when YOU want to not when you or the bettas are ready.

You say you have done your research. If so, then you should have known better than to choose this project.