I read this online and its tearing apart my mind

GouramisAreSuperior

There is no way to prove that people see the same colors. THINK. They have the same name because they were taught that way, but just because they have the same color name it DOESN'T MEAN THAT THEY SEE IT THE SAME WAY
UGH

swimmingslowly

Yup. I mean if you really want to get into the way people view reality there’s no way to prove anyone sees anything the same as anyone else. I actually frequently think about the fact that we can never experience someone else’s reality...

Ssnaaiil

Well Known
GouramisAreSuperior said:
There is no way to prove that people see the same colors. THINK. They have the same name because they were taught that way, but just because they have the same color name it DOESN'T MEAN THAT THEY SEE IT THE SAME WAY
UGH
Omg! I have thought of this before!!!! And wondered it!!

Betta'sAnonymous

Well Known
Doesn't help that science has proven that females generally see, recognize and comprehend more shades of color than males generally do

Ssnaaiil

Well Known
Betta'sAnonymous said:
Doesn't help that science has proven that females generally see, recognize and comprehend more shades of color than males generally do
I haven’t heard that one before, interesting

Betta'sAnonymous

Well Known
Ssnaaiil said:
I haven’t heard that one before, interesting
The theory is that it goes way back when humans were primarily hunters/gatherers. The ability to see different shades probably meant the difference in life and death when it came to picking berries and such. That's the theory anyway.

Jerome O'Neil

If I show someone light at 450nm wavelength, they're all gonna say "That's blue." What they perceive as blue is entirely irrelevant to tthat.

The inability to know what other people see, or think, or hear, or feel is well known, and the subject of much philosophy, which can be summed up in Rene Descartes' epic "Cogito ergo sum."

All we can truly "know" is our own mind.

AJE

Fishlore VIP
I’ve thought about the color thing before, what if my green is red for you but we just call it green?

JettsPapa

Fishlore VIP
AJE said:
I’ve thought about the color thing before, what if my green is red for you but we just call it green?
I don't think about it very long, because I don't see how it would ever matter. I have other things I prefer to waste my time on.

JettsPapa

Fishlore VIP
86 ssinit said:
Sure just go paint shopping with your wife :). Me: yep that’s still blue!
That reminds me of years ago when I was still on the construction crew at my job. I was a pretty fair trim carpenter also, so the lady who ran the office asked me to build some shelves to go in a closet, and paint them gray. No problem. I went to the lumber yard, got the lumber and paint, and got them done. She took one look and said "Oh no, that's the wrong shade of gray!!"

After that when one of the ladies in the office asked me to build something I'd say I'll be glad to, but if you want it painted any color other than black semi-gloss you're going to the store and picking out the paint. I'm not.

Frank the Fish guy

It's also possible that since color is just a function of the wavelength of light, and since we are all physically use the same process for sensing, that we all do see and perceive color the same way. Blue is blue. Green is green. Given the way that the biology works, I think we all see color the same way and perceive it the same way too. But I can't prove it.

The only real issue is that we have no way to know for sure. You just can't prove it.

This is more a question of the philosophical problem of truth. Some things are true, but cannot be proved.

Truth is objective, not subjective.

There are many things that are true, but can't be proved. For example: The sun will rise tomorrow.
No way to prove it. But wait until tomorrow and it will be known that the statement was objectively true.

Most interesting things in life are beyond simple proofs. This is because our minds are not designed for discerning truth. Instead our minds are geared to survival, love, happiness, contentment, faith, and searching out tasty food, and other such things.

faydout

Well Known
Frank the Fish guy said:
I think we all see color the same way and perceive it the same way too. But I can't prove it.
I'll take a swing at this one. I'm color deficient. I see colors and perceive them, but not all colors the same way everyone else does (reds, purples especially, and greens). While usually this just means my wife asking me what color something is, then chuckling about how far off I was, it also means that I couldn't pursue the career field I wanted when I was younger (it worked with electronics). The cones in my eyes make me perceive color differently than other people. I'd bet the cones in everyone's eyes (color deficiency or not) cause them to perceive colors a little differently. We may all call a blue car blue, but I doubt we're all seeing the exact same shade.

Frank the Fish guy

The controversy is about if one person sees red, but what they see is what the other person calls blue, or something like that where the colors are all switched around like that.

Color blind people just have less sensitivity to color in different parts of the spectrum. Less signal to noise for the same situation. But the colors are actually the same.

smee82

Another interesting fact about colours is the more words a culture has for different colours and shades the more they can see.

New Threads