Help I Put Duckweed In My Tank And The Filter Is Blowing It All Over The Place.

LuckyGourami

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I wanted to add some floating plants to my 20 gallon long to provide more shade. I looked at several top ten lists, and duckweed appeared frequently as an easy-to-grow floating plant. I ordered some and put it in my tank, thinking it would congregate in one corner of the tank and just float there. However, my underwater filter is blowing it all over the place. It's like it's snowing duckweed! Will the leaves float back to the top eventually? The duckweed that is floating is being pushed around by the current. Will it grow like that or does it have to be perfectly still?

Last edited:

Madison Lawson

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The duckweed will grow with or without the current, and most of the leaves should end up floating back up to the top. The current and filter will continue to push the duckweed around until it has filled the entire surface of the tank to the point that restricts movement. You chose a hardy and easy to grow plant. It will be harder keeping it from over-growing.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Can you post a pic of the filter? I have either bendy straws or styrofoam “cages” around my filter output to keep the floating plants out of the way and from stuffing up the filter. If a floating plant gets stuck under water it will die, even the hardy duckweed.
309839D7-7248-46E5-99AE-33670E313AB0.jpeg

7479D85F-A8CB-415A-93F6-6BB6DF45A495.jpeg

The trick is to keep the water level high enough so the plants are not being pushed under.

LuckyGourami

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The duckweed will grow with or without the current, and most of the leaves should end up floating back up to the top. The current and filter will continue to push the duckweed around until it has filled the entire surface of the tank to the point that restricts movement. You chose a hardy and easy to grow plant. It will be harder keeping it from over-growing.
Oh good. I read that it grows fast, but I figure I'll just remove some periodically to keep it in check.

Can you post a pic of the filter? I have either bendy straws or styrofoam “cages” around my filter output to keep the floating plants out of the way and from stuffing up the filter. If a floating plant gets stuck under water it will die, even the hardy duckweed.View attachment 557177
View attachment 557176
I put it in the tank right before I left for the office. I'll take some pictures when I get home. Bendy straws sound like a good idea. My filter is on one end of the tank, so maybe I can just put a straw or something similar across the surface and keep the duckweed on the other side.

MaximumRide14

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Oh good. I read that it grows fast, but I figure I'll just remove some periodically to keep it in check.

I put it in the tank right before I left for the office. I'll take some pictures when I get home. Bendy straws sound like a good idea. My filter is on one end of the tank, so maybe I can just put a straw or something similar across the surface and keep the duckweed on the other side.
Mine always get blown under after doing water changes but they go back after an hour or so. Make sure your water level isn't too low under the flow of the filter. The straw thing looks really helpful though, I'd try that.

JChi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The straw idea is super cool! I've got to try that. But same as everyone else. Mine sometimes gets blown around, but it settles down a bit. I've noticed that it ends up in the corners after a while and stays there til the next water change. Its an amazing plant! I love it's look, and it helps keep the nitrate down. And you don't have to do anything to it to keep it alive.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom