I Picked A Difficult Hobby !

1. Marco Rodriguez

Marco Rodriguez Valued Member Member

I feel like every day is an up hill battle with these fish. Given I'm still new to this and still learning I'm rly struggling. Feels like there's always a problem to fix! Please tell me I'm not the only one who's struggled in the beginning?

2. Sarcasm Included

Sarcasm Included Well Known Member Member

Me too! Rock climbing with boulders is killing my back!

Fishkeeping has a steep learning curve and the more research you do prior to starting the better. Research is your best friend and you can do it for 50 years and still need more

3. Cherie G

Cherie G Valued Member Member

Hey Marco, hang in there!

You are definitely far from the only one struggling! Just read through some of the posts & threads on this site. Lots of beginners are feeling the same way as you. I haven't been at it very long either and have had a few challenges but have learned a lot and gotten so much good advice & knowledge from those here with the experience and knowledge. Made it a lot easier to know I can come here for guidance. You are for sure in the right place for help and advice.

One thing I have figured out for myself is that I need be patient & to look at this hobby as a perpetual work in progress. Not in that there will always be problems but that it's a hobby that is always evolving and different which is what makes it so interesting and fun. Plus with time you gain lots of knowledge and experience which certainly makes handling any issues that come up a lot less stressful. Good luck!

4. O

Over It Well Known Member Member

Heck! I've been keeping fish for 12 yrs and I still struggle sometimes. I think most people do, they just don't say it. Fish keeping is a difficult hobby, but that's what makes it so rewarding. Yes, there will be problems, especially in the beginning when you are just starting, but the important thing is to keep going, unless you really are not enjoying it one little bit.

Some days, like yesterday and today I feel overwhelmed, but then I sit back and look at all I've accomplished and how much I enjoy my fish and tanks and it gets me through the rough days.

5. jenmur

jenmur Fishlore VIP Member

I just started last year! I've had some heartache (S.I.P. Ninja) but also good things! I've learned the hard way bottled bacteria doesn't always work and I've done cycling with fish food. Found this place and people here are helpful and knowledgeable. . I've loved having Frazier and Henry, Frazier for almost a year and a few weeks for Henry. Keep up the good work!!

6. Herkimur

Herkimur Well Known Member Member

I started a year ago roughly.
    First, the crayfish started ripping each others limbs off.
    Then added minnows, which Crayfish ate (not intended), and stressed them out they started dying 1 by 1.
    Then crayfish gone but remaining minnows had Flukes. Found out it's hard to kill, so spent more money.
    This entire time wasn't cycled.
    Spent more money on that.
    Then more money on bigger tank.
    Then even more money on quiet filter since powerheads kept me up at night.
    Gave minnows to someone with Pond.
    Then went real plants and clay substrate with Platies.
    Platies went through with all my dewormers...
    Planted aquarium is overrun by brown crusty diatoms suffocating everything in there.
    More money on more plants...
    More money on PhosGuard / silica remover.
    Now green hair algae.
    More fry...
    Then cyclops in tank.
    Then tiny worms in tank.
    Today found an even bigger worm scooting along on my jungle Val.
    And on top of this i now seem to have caught the dreaded black beard algae.

I am done spending money.
    Whatever happens will happen and I have no idea how to catch 30 tiny fry in a planted aquarium!

Cheers...

7. KevInLA

KevInLA Valued Member Member

hang in there. i ust ordered my first tank and it arrives this weekend! so while i cannot speak from any actual experience, i can tell you already hat even with just the research aspect i felt like giving up. envisioning the perfect tank in your home opposed to working to get it there is quite a gap. i know im going to go through some hardships, but remember....nothing worth doing is easy. good luck to you!

8. O

OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

Stay with it Marco. I've been at this a long time and I don't recall my start being too rough, but I have sure had some bad streaks through the years. If I could offer some advice a quality source for fish is FAR more important than it once was. It's worth a longer drive, or ordering online or however you need to make it happen. And try not to get complacent and repeat foolish mistakes. I have taken a few risks and paid the price a few times more than necessary for sure.

9. Littlebudda

Littlebudda Well Known Member Member

I've been keeping for almost 30 years and have learnt so much yet 18 months ago I had a massive problem where I lost close to 40 fish over a 3 month period and never found a reason parameters were all good no visible signs of stress but it happened in the end I did back to back to back 90% water changes and completely washed out filters with tank water vacuumed every inch of the tank and it all disappeared so it happens to all of us

10. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

I've had my ups and downs. The two hobbies I picked are not only difficult but expensive...fish keeping and golf.

11. OP
    OP
    Marco Rodriguez

Marco Rodriguez Valued Member Member

Seems like we are all struggling through together. Sorry it's been so rough.. read other posts on here it actually helped me feel better.

Thank you to everyone who posted and keeps posting on here! It really means a lot! Haha I've always wanted to keep fish so there is no way I am giving up but good to know we have all struggled through and sadly lost a few swimmers :)

12. shiv234

shiv234 Well Known Member Member

never...my dad was an aquarist from the time i was born so my fishes were always healthy

13. Fishpuns

Fishpuns Valued Member Member

I've had my fair share of trouble, but I don't really mind dealing with the hurdles as long as the fish are safe through them. I feel like I can learn to deal with anything that crops up, and I really appreciate having a hobby with so much to learn.

But there have been times when I've questioned my sanity in choosing fishkeeping...Like when I had a big ammonia problem ~6 months ago and was doing 50% water changes daily on a 55g using a 5g bucket and a bathtub faucet, with 86F water out of the tap. It was painful, in many ways. But I got through it, learned a lot, and got buff from lifting all those buckets ;) It all worked out :D

Stay strong, you've picked a great hobby and it's well worth it :)

14. Littlebudda

My 3 back to back 90% changes and full tank clean I mentioned before was on a 330gal and was all done with buckets and sink for the refill that's about 130 buckets per water change so just short of 400 buckets and 13hrs of work

15. Fishpuns

Fishpuns Valued Member Member

:nailbiting: On second thought, maybe I have nothing to complain about...your poor back!

16. Littlebudda

I normally do weekly 70% on my tanks with buckets I find it therapeutic

17. Snake88

Snake88 Valued Member Member

I started out with a 20 gal tank and hadnt heard of the nitrogen cycle until after i had fish in the tank. That was a tough battle, cycling a brand new tank that wasnt established yet. After it cycled it was decent for a bit, then I encounted ammonia issues, constantly spiking. I then turned to youtube and learned tons of helpful things. Since then I upgraded my tank to 55 gallons with 2 penguin 350 filters and havnt had any issues since. I heard that bigger tanks are easier to care for anyway, and if I can give you any advice it would be that having more filtration than you need is a good thing and youtube is your friend. Cheers and good luck

18. Sassonic

Sassonic New Member Member

I don't know what size tank, or what you're stocking... But don't get intimidated by all the steps to success in fish keeping, just always do one thing at a time. Watch a lot of youtube, ask questions on here, and be patient, and don't stock too many fish that will just make things more difficult and risky.

Also, when you get advice and do research you may have to adjust things according to your particular room/tap water/lighting, almost everything you see is a "guideline" and you have to adapt it to your current situation. Most everything I have learned I can now do better than the person, or youtube video that originally taught me, that comes with experimenting and experience. It will get easier...

19. California L33

California L33 Well Known Member Member

Sorry you're having problems. I'll repeat what I've seen a lot of here. We all have problems. Had a huge die off long ago (that I now suspect was parasites introduced with live Tubifex worms which at the time were considered top of the line fish food), didn't have time, and closed up all four of my tanks 'temporarily.' That turned into a two decades long hiatus, but it turns out I still had the bug, bought a single Betta, and now I'm back to the love/hate of aquarium keeping. Love the exotic other worldliness of a fish, hate when my gilled friend is anything other than 100% healthy and happy.

20. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

This year, I hit my 50th year of fishkeeping, and I can agree with that. I'm always learning. That's why I like it.

When we start, we hit "fish survival" challenges. We go to the store and have to trust, since we haven't learned to spot illnesses or choose healthy fish. That causes a lot of trouble. We have to learn the cycle, how to more or less balance our wants with the needs of the fish, how to do maintenance... that can be a stressful part. Too often, new aquarists do everything right and the fish die. They blame themselves, without realizing it all went wrong with the unhealthy fish from the chain type stores. The stores aren't going to tell you the 150 fish in the tank you bought your 6 from died the next day.

If you don't get discouraged, the road opens up. Then a lot of us realize a smoothly functional tank gets boring, and we start looking for ways to create challenges. New types of fish, plants, aquascaping, breeding, biotope tanks...To me, that's when it gets fun. We end up with multiple tanks, we breed more and more difficult fish, and we still find time to look at the beautiful little spectacle we've arranged to see.

The way I see it that when I get home from work and don't plan to putter with the fishtanks, I can go into two other hobby directions. One is watching TV or sitting in a lawnchair, which is pretty easy and can be very satisfying. The other is going kayaking, biking or going on really long walks with my dog. That angle is a little more challenging and difficult, given my age and the wonderful sports injuries I was so skilled at getting a few years back. I'll take difficult though. It leads to more interesting things.