I over cleaned my betta tank this weekend... mini cycle/plantaria issues now.. 5 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by rmarkham, Nov 28, 2012.

1. rmarkham

rmarkhamWell Known MemberMember

Hi all!

So I decided to get clean happy on Sunday and cleaned all the fish tanks... I did a massive water change on one of my 5 gallon betta tanks, as well as a hefty gravel vacuum.

Well, I threw the tank into a mini cycle... the next day(mon) I noticed that the water was cloudy.. so I tested it and saw a small nitrite spike. I did a 50% water change and tested the water the next day(tues).. I had an ammonia spike, about .5ppm... I did another 50% water change. This brings me to today... I had another ammonia reading that was also around .5ppm. No nitrites, and 5ppm for the nitrates.

I can deal with daily water changes with prime until the cycle corrects itself.
    The plantaria are what I'm confused about...
    I'm noticing tiny white specs in the water, and plantaria on the glass... I had a bit of plantaria when I set up the tank but it went away with time.. I think they have decided to bloom during the mini cycle and I'm seeing the younger form swimming around and floating about in the tank.. is there anything I should do? Should I give it time to correct itself?

Thanks!

2. Matt B

Matt BWell Known MemberMember

Imo, you're on the right track. :;th Keep up the pwcs with prime and the bloom will go away with time, it more or less the same thing you experienced when you first set up the tank. If it really bothers you you could wipe it off but you don't have to do anything for now, it'd just come back until your cycle corrects itself anyway imo.

3. OP
    OP
    rmarkham

Awesome thanks! You can see them floating about more so than on the sides of the tank... I can deal with aesthetic issues as long as my fish is healthy. Poor Mr. Squiggles.

4. Matt B

It's great you were on top of it and had the prime! You did great imo handling the situation. :)

Planaria kind of look like little slugs, detritus worms look more like twitchy whitish hairs, if you went crazy on the gravel they might be detritus worms that got churned up in which case they're a snack for mr squiggles. ;) It could also just be bio film from bacteria building up and breaking loose as they try to utilize the ammonia in the water.

5. OP
    OP
    rmarkham

I did see a few slug like things, and a few tiny white specs that swim about.. either way it's not harmful so it's okay in my book!

I have a cabinet full of fish emergency supplies :) People at my work think I'm strange for loving fish and reptiles so much.. but hey, they make me happy.

The most frustrating thing for me right now is that I just got a DLSR camera and can't get Squiggles to sit still long enough to get a great picture! He's too busy flaring EVERYWHERE in the tank.

6. Matt B

He's probably mad at you for going through all his stuff! I need to get one of those cameras bad, I just have my panasonic point and shoot.

7. OP
    OP
    rmarkham

I have a Sony DSC-H3, which is a point and shoot but it takes great pictures! the DLSR is so different! It's going to be a learning process for sure, I'm going to get a macro lens in a week.... VERY excited about that. I got the Nikon D5100.. so far so good, but it's a challenge and I have a lot to learn.

8. Matt B

I have my settings all set for fish, macro zoom and very fast shutter speed. My wifes not allowed to mess with the custom setting section. :)

I was looking at a couple different ones but they seem really intimidating to a non-techie like myself. I bet you'll get some great stuff with your macro lens!

9. OP
    OP
    rmarkham

I love the macro setting on my point and shoot!

I'm super intimidated! As soon as I master it, I'll be posting way too many pictures :). Geckos are easier because they will sit still... in the coming month I plan to spam every forum I'm a member of with pictures.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice