I Ordered Shrimp Online & They Came With A Bunch Of Babies Help

1. Hego_Damask

Hego_Damask Valued Member Member

Hello FL

So, I ordered 20x Sakura RCS online, however upon arrival today I noticed there were somewhere between 5-10, maybe more, super tiny baby shrimp!

I planned on putting all 20 in my 10 gallon nano tank, with some chili rasboras & maybe some sparkling gourami, however there’s no fish in there currently. I wanted to give the shrimp a week or two to kind of get used i their new home.

So, what should I do ? Just put them in the tank as well ? Or take them to a LFS ?

2. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

Why not keep them? They’ll still breed anyways.

3. Lollipop0912

Lollipop0912 Valued Member Member

I think they’d do great in a 10 gallon. However, even though rasboras and gouramis are peaceful, sometimes a tiny swimming snack is hard to resist. @bryangar is totally right. You’re fighting an uphill battle if you don’t want breeding.

4. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

Just add them in with the big guys and the little shrimplets will be fine. Often shrimp have a die off after shipping from stress and poor adaptation to new water. The babies will make up the numbers that you lose.

5. Lorekeeper

Lorekeeper Well Known Member Member

Cherry shrimp will inevitably breed in a healthy tank. There's no getting around it. You might as well keep the shrimplets, as a shrimp colony will have die-off upon arrival and will have a steady death rate as they age. The goal is to have a healthy colony that keeps itself alive over the years, with only small additions of shrimp to keep the gene pool varied.

Fish will eat shrimplets, no doubt about it, but you'll have no problem with keeping populations up with how fast they breed.