I need your opinions! Should I rescape?

Should I rescape?

  • Yes

  • No


Results are only viewable after voting.

AcornTheBetta

Well Known
Member
Messages
660
Reaction score
556
Location
Bay Area
Experience
Just started
Hi all! I may be going to the fish store soon and I want to know if I should buy more hardscape and rescape my tank. If you think I should then plz give me some ideas. Thanks!
 

MoshJosh

Well Known
Member
Messages
625
Reaction score
604
I vote yes.

recently I’ve wanted to try my hand at iwagumi (rock only).

also I’ve wanted to try like a minimalist scape, like only allow my self one piece of drift wood, one stone, and like 3 types of plants and see what I could do
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
AcornTheBetta

AcornTheBetta

Well Known
Member
Messages
660
Reaction score
556
Location
Bay Area
Experience
Just started
MoshJosh said:
I vote yes.

recently I’ve wanted to try my hand at iwagumi (rock only).

also I’ve wanted to try like a minimalist scape, like only allow my self one piece of drift wood, one stone, and like 3 types of plants and see what I could do
What do you think I should do?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6
OP
AcornTheBetta

AcornTheBetta

Well Known
Member
Messages
660
Reaction score
556
Location
Bay Area
Experience
Just started
Here it is. I feel that it doesn't have a focal point and looks like I just threw a bunch of stuff together.
20200713_213407.jpg
 

julifhy

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,367
Reaction score
1,887
Location
Bay Area
Experience
Just started
AcornTheBetta said:
Here it is. I feel that it doesn't have a focal point and looks like I just threw a bunch of stuff together.
20200713_213407.jpg
I think you have enough hard scape to work with. More plants would definitely work (I think anubias and windelov java fern would work great)! I would try layering the stones together and putting the driftwood around them since it’s curved (or placing it the way it is placed now, but more over the stones?). Mini moss balls would also look nice (you can get them at petsmart) :)
Edit:
Background plants (like amazon sword and anarchais) and floating plants would also look great in your tank!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8
OP
AcornTheBetta

AcornTheBetta

Well Known
Member
Messages
660
Reaction score
556
Location
Bay Area
Experience
Just started
julifhy said:
I think you have enough hard scape to work with. More plants would definitely work (I think anubias and windelov java fern would work great)! I would try layering the stones together and putting the driftwood around them since it’s curved (or placing it the way it is placed now, but more over the stones?). Mini moss balls would also look nice (you can get them at petsmart) :)
Edit:
Background plants (like amazon sword and anarchais) and floating plants would also look great in your tank!
Ok. I was going to get some java fern. I like the curve around back idea.
 

KatNynaeve

New Member
Member
Messages
13
Reaction score
14
Location
Texas
Experience
Just started
AcornTheBetta said:
Here it is. I feel that it doesn't have a focal point and looks like I just threw a bunch of stuff together.
20200713_213407.jpg
If you add some different size rock pebble (bag of assorted “decorative” rocks it dollar tree, is a great idea) and some tall plants in the corners could draw your eye to the center and you could make it look like an underwater river with the driftwood as a bridge!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #10
OP
AcornTheBetta

AcornTheBetta

Well Known
Member
Messages
660
Reaction score
556
Location
Bay Area
Experience
Just started
julifhy said:
I think you have enough hard scape to work with. More plants would definitely work (I think anubias and windelov java fern would work great)! I would try layering the stones together and putting the driftwood around them since it’s curved (or placing it the way it is placed now, but more over the stones?). Mini moss balls would also look nice (you can get them at petsmart) :)
Edit:
Background plants (like amazon sword and anarchais) and floating plants would also look great in your tank!
I think I will put the 2 rocks next to each other and then have the driftwood on it's side coming out of the left of the rocks. Then I will add java fern around the visible curve of the driftwood, a val of some sort behind to draw attention like @KatNynaeve said, and a crypt (any suggestions) to the right of the hardscape, duckweed with a barrier so that it only takes up the front half of the tank so the other plants get light. Does anyone have any ideas to fill a little of the front space on the right and left? I was thinking maybe mini rock features. I'll post a drawing of the idea tomorrow.
 

ghostdawg

Active Member
Member
Messages
468
Reaction score
444
Location
US of A
Experience
1 year
It looks nice to me. I would add some more plants. What kind, I don't know! :)
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #13
OP
AcornTheBetta

AcornTheBetta

Well Known
Member
Messages
660
Reaction score
556
Location
Bay Area
Experience
Just started
Here is the drawing. Sorry, it's a little messy. What do you think I should put in that open space? I think I'm going to do c. wentii. Tell me what you think! The vals are to hide the filter and to draw attention and the rock features it'll direct attention to the main hardscape.
20200714_115803.jpg
 

julifhy

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,367
Reaction score
1,887
Location
Bay Area
Experience
Just started
AcornTheBetta said:
What crypts would you guys recommend?
Cryptocoryne wendtii maybe?

AcornTheBetta said:
Here is the drawing. Sorry, it's a little messy. What do you think I should put in that open space? I think I'm going to do c. wentii. Tell me what you think! The vals are to hide the filter and to draw attention and the rock features it'll direct attention to the main hardscape.
20200714_115803.jpg
Java ferns grow best on wood, so I would suggest placing it on your driftwood.
For the empty space, maybe put the rocks you’re planning on getting in the middle and attach anubias to it? That would probably help get rid of the empty space. You could also try adding moss balls or Cryptocoryne Parva to take up space :)
 

Luvbebes

New Member
Member
Messages
33
Reaction score
14
Experience
3 years
AcornTheBetta said:
Here is the drawing. Sorry, it's a little messy. What do you think I should put in that open space? I think I'm going to do c. wentii. Tell me what you think! The vals are to hide the filter and to draw attention and the rock features it'll direct attention to the main hardscape.
20200714_115803.jpg
You read my mind ! A drawing of some ideas really will help to put your ideas work .
I was watching some fish videos on YouTube - ( let me know if you want to know who ) and I noticed one with a 20 g tank and he had a corner feature and it was planted live it so much that I’m planning to do something similar . But I really love your idea of drawing it out
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #16
OP
AcornTheBetta

AcornTheBetta

Well Known
Member
Messages
660
Reaction score
556
Location
Bay Area
Experience
Just started
Luvbebes said:
You read my mind ! A drawing of some ideas really will help to put your ideas work .
I was watching some fish videos on YouTube - ( let me know if you want to know who ) and I noticed one with a 20 g tank and he had a corner feature and it was planted live it so much that I’m planning to do something similar . But I really love your idea of drawing it out
Thanks!
 

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
214
Guests online
3,011
Total visitors
3,225

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom