I need to stay off the SPCA website...

1. Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

I don't know why but after talking it over with my friend what she wanted for her birthday... I've suddenly started to crave a Guinea Pig.
    I've never really been interested in them before, I'm not a hampster/ferret/rabbit, or other small furry rodent person. But I've begun to really want a pair of these guys (social animals and all). However I'm not really familiar with them. The SPCA here has a pair of females available for $15 and I'm extremely tempted.

What are these little guys like?

2. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

They're WONDERFUL pets! Very friendly, our has never bitten anything but food. Love to socialize, make the cutest little noises, but they're not loud. Love to snuggle and just hang out with the family. They will chew on ANYTHING they can their teeth on. Love to share fruits and veggies. Alfalfa hay is an essential part of their diet. They will play with toys.

I would HIGHLY recommend them as pets. They grow and grow and grow. Most of the cages you see at the pet stores really aren't big enough.

Hope this helps!

3. Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

Thanks BB :)

I heard about the cages as I was doing a bit of google on them. I hear that you can use shelving like this and then make a bottom container out of chloroplast.

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

great furry friends :) im with BB ...very easy to care for and love their lil squeaks now and then...

5. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Yep, that what Ariel's cage is made out of. Here's a few pics if that helps. The 4th picture is a rather large igloo for him. He outgrew with first one he had. He'd get stuck. As he got older, he developed some girth and an extra chin. I tried to get close-ups of how it's all put together. I bought mine from a rescue, I've never put one together.

There's a 2 x 4 that is used as a center brace to keep it from collapsing in.

Attached Files:

6. Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

Nice set up!
    Do you like having the closed top? Would an open top be a problem?

7. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Thank you:p An open top wouldn't be a problem if you don't have any dogs or cats in the house. We have two dogs with a very strong prey drive, so in addition to training the dogs that the guinea pig is part of our pack, it's an added precaution. It also keeps the birds from flying into the cage, although our budgie can fit through the holes.

8. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Any updates, Red? Did you get your babies?

9. Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

Sigh no :(
    I found and double checked my lease and according to the papers I'm not allowed pets of any kind (fish excepted). I haven't talked to my landlord yet but I'll guess that they won't allow it.
    However I'll keep these guys in mind, I'm moving out in April so maybe my next place will allow it. <fingers crossed>

Thanks for asking BB. You've been a great help. :)

10. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

My fins, feathers, and guinea pig chins are crossed for ya:;hug2 You'd make an excellent piggy-mother.

11. Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

lol
    thanks BB :D
    <HUGS>

12. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

Guinea Pigs are the cutest rodents IMO. I had one but i ended up being alergic to it, but i can tell you that for the time i had it it was a blast. They are so cute but i suggest you get one from a breeder and make sure that if you do a get a pair of females they arent holding. I really hope you get them, they sure are fun. Like BB suggested a DIY cage is far better, they have more room and you can interact with them. Just make sure the cage is tall, as my little girl used to be a jumper LOL My girl used to be in a 4X4, but thats because her other mate was being raised LOL

Oh, and for bedding i suggest you stay away from the kind that are out in the market. Blankets are bettar and easier to clean IMO although some may think differently...

I really hope you can get them...

13. catzeye21138 Initiate Member

They are lovely animals! Full of personality. They do need more space than other small animals, but they don't smell bad as long as you keep their cage clean. www.guineapigcages.com is full of all the information you'll need, along with guinealynx.info for medical information.

One little correction, bolivianbaby said alfalfa hay is essential.
    That isn't true. Alfalfa hay should only be given in limited amounts to pregnant sows, and young cavies. A nice grass hay, or timothy hay is what is essential. Too much alfalfa can cause calcium deposits, and isn't good for adult guinea pigs in the long run.