I need to learn how to euthanize a fish in the correct way

sslliitthheerr

I have yet to come to this thankfully because it is sad but i need to know how because I don't want any of my fish suffering

Sewerrat

Always heard clove oil could also do slow boil (very slow so fish adjust and dosnt feel it) or if it's a small fish can squish it real quick if your not squeamish

Flyfisha

When I went to school all kids took a trip to the abattoir and saw animals being processed for human consumption. That is not the fashion these days children are hidden/ sheltered from the cycle of life. Many children do not even go fishing for food any longer.

It needs to be quick in my opinion. Very quick.

Cue

Good, quick hit to the head with a hammer would do it. Clove oil is a less gruesome option. If you’re and experienced fisher and have a larger fish you could pith it, but if you don’t have experience might not be the best idea. IMO those are the only ones I’ve felt were humane personally, but anything quick and painless should suffice.

Noroomforshoe

Get a container that can hold the fish comfortably while being less than half full.

Pour his aquarium water in a level where the fish will be comfortable, and it is still half-full or less.

Add the fish.

Use an empty water bottle to scoop up more tank water.

Add about 10 drops of clove oil and shake it hard.

Add a small amount, like a shot glass size of the clove oil water to the fish container. And leave for 5-10 minutes.

If your fish is still awake, add a small amount more. and wait 5-10 more minutes.

Repeat until the fish is asleep.
"I have done this 3 times and the fish fell asleep in the first several minutes. "

Once the fish is belly up, not moving, not reacting to any stimuli, you can now end its life painlessly. You can add the rest of the clove oil water, you can add vodka or an Alka-Seltzer tab. I prefer to decapitate, well, actually I have my husband decapitate the fish. I was super paranoid the fish would not be dead and only asleep. I burry The fish in my garden afterwords.

sslliitthheerr

When I went to school all kids took a trip to the abattoir and saw animals being processed for human consumption. That is not the fashion these days children are hidden/ sheltered from the cycle of life. Many children do not even go fishing for food any longer.

It needs to be quick in my opinion. Very quick.
like take it out of the tank and then like bash its head really quick? its sad but i need to do that alot when i hook a fish to deep while fishing and obviously when we take them home to eat them but would this be good on captive fish
Get a container that can hold the fish comfortably while being less than half full.

Pour his aquarium water in a level where the fish will be comfortable, and it is still half-full or less.

Add the fish.

Use an empty water bottle to scoop up more tank water.

Add about 10 drops of clove oil and shake it hard.

Add a small amount, like a shot glass size of the clove oil water to the fish container. And leave for 5-10 minutes.

If your fish is still awake, add a small amount more. and wait 5-10 more minutes.

Repeat until the fish is asleep.
"I have done this 3 times and the fish fell asleep in the first several minutes. "

Once the fish is belly up, not moving, not reacting to any stimuli, you can now end its life painlessly. You can add the rest of the clove oil water, you can add vodka or an Alka-Seltzer tab. I prefer to decapitate, well, actually I have my husband decapitate the fish. I was super paranoid the fish would not be dead and only asleep. I burry The fish in my garden afterwords.
thank you

Fishyfishyfishman

like take it out of the tank and then like bash its head really quick? its sad but i need to do that alot when i hook a fish to deep while fishing and obviously when we take them home to eat them but would this be good on captive fish
Yeah, just like that. I haven’t had to yet (on aquarium fish) but it is exactly how I will if I have to in the future

sslliitthheerr

Yeah, just like that. I haven’t had to yet (on aquarium fish) but it is exactly how I will if I have to in the future
thank you for helping me i just want to know how to do it correctly if i ever need to because I don't want my fish suffering

StarGirl

I guess it depends on how big of a fish you are talking.

Small tetras/fish knock out in 5-10 seconds in clove oil when I have had to do it. Then I pour some vodka or alcohol in to make sure they dont awaken. Clove oil is just like anesthesia, knocks them out quickly. I used tank water in a small jar. I just pour some clove oil in, Im not exact on the amount. Make sure to shake it and emulsify it first. (the water should be cloudy)

Im sure a larger fish would need more. Maybe pithing or smashing the head would be quicker on a large fish. I have never had to euthanize a large fish before. It makes you sad regardless of how you do it. Hugs.

SparkyJones

I don't know,,,,, vet schools and like aquaculture uses Tricane Methanesulfonate to sedate the fish before working on fish or dispatching them, which is probably the most humane way to do it, but they still dispatch it. TMS is also pretty expensive, so why not follow it up with an overdose of barbituates like they do also. put to sleep and stays asleep.

I'd say sharp knife,cut the head off between the eye and the gill plate towards the collar, it will sever the spinal cord and brain and sever the arteries all in the one shot, just about as instant and painless as you can get, short of sedating the fish before doing it.
It's messy though, the downside. But I do think it's humane way to do it, RSPCA recommends for caught fish that are to be eaten, that stunning by hitting the fish in the head, or spiking the brain by inserting a knife point into the fishes head between the eye and gillplate towards the top of the head, then swishing it from side to side to destroy the brain. is the most humane way to do it. then bleed out the fish.

my method is from fishing also, just a one strike way to dispatch and bleed out a fish, but some people like to eat whole fish, not me, the head isn't necessary.

no euthanasia method is easy, it shouldn't be taken lightly, but if it's your fish and it's suffering, you're doing it a favor to not prolong it's suffering and doing the only thing left to help the fish.

Same goes for fish caught to eat. No reason to prolong the suffering there either. It's providing you food, you owe it a quick and easy death, not 20 minutes of flopping on the bank in the sun gasping.

sslliitthheerr

I guess it depends on how big of a fish you are talking.

Small tetras/fish knock out in 5-10 seconds in clove oil when I have had to do it. Then I pour some vodka or alcohol in to make sure they dont awaken. Clove oil is just like anesthesia, knocks them out quickly. I used tank water in a small jar. I just pour some clove oil in, Im not exact on the amount. Make sure to shake it and emulsify it first. (the water should be cloudy)

Im sure a larger fish would need more. Maybe pithing or smashing the head would be quicker on a large fish. I have never had to euthanize a large fish before. It makes you sad regardless of how you do it. Hugs.
yeah i am about to open a new thread because my parents want me to build them a koi pond

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Sofiafish17
Replies
Views
Fishjunkiejimmy
Replies
Views
Sputnik
Replies
Views