i need to knowww...... 5 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by ginababyy, Apr 16, 2010.

1. ginababyyNew MemberMember

i have a 5 gallon freshwater tank and i just got the chemicals right so i wanna know what kinda fish are good for my tank?

2. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

welcome to fl. :) Not a lot can go into a 5g comfortably. It's perfect for one dwarf puffer, one betta, OR two sparkling gouramis.

When you say you got the chemicals right, can you explain what you mean? If you aren't familiar with the nitrogen cycle, there's a great link in my signature you should read.

3. AlyeskaGirlFishlore VIPMember

Not much you can put in a 5 gallon, you would have to go with a Betta. :)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  4. ginababyyNew MemberMember

i read up on the nitrogen cyle and did all that and i got these testing strips and all the results are where they say they need to be. where do yu usually buy fish at?

5. Prince PowderWell Known MemberMember

5 gallon tanks are extremely limited in what you can have. Even most of the smaller fish species need more swim space than that. Here are some options for you...

1 Betta...OR
    1 Dwarf Puffer....OR
    2 dwarf African Frogs

Before you get any fish though make sure your tank is cycled. Here is a link on the aquarium nitrogen cycle.

https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

You definitely want to read up on that and make sure your tank is safe for fish before getting any.

6. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

gina, test strips are not accurate. A liquid test kit is highly recommended. Most members have the API test kit.

Right now, all of your tests should show 0, as there is no ammonia in the tank. When you add fish, the waste they produce will create ammonia, which is toxic. Please consider reading the link again to learn about cycling without fish. Cycling with fish in the tank can be cruel - exposure to toxins ammonia and nitrite can cause gills to be burned, organ damage, and/or death.

Here's an explanation of the cycle I typed up for a different member:
    Here's the nitrogen cycle in a nutshell:
    Your tank has ammonia from the waste the fish produce. The beneficial bacteria living on the surface of your gravel and filter media eats the ammonia, changing it to nitrite. Another beneficial bacteria converts that into nitrates.

Any amount of ammonia or nitrites can be lethal to fish. A small amount of nitrates are fine (5-20). Once your tank is cycled, it means you have enough benefical bacteria growing to eat all the ammonia and nitrites, making your tank a healthy place to live. Your readings should be 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 5-20 nitrates.

So to cycle fishless, you need to create a source of ammonia that is not fish waste, since you want to avoid fish being exposed to ammonia. You can use pure ammonia, a chunk of raw shrimp etc. As the ammonia source decomposes, beneficial bacteria (BB) will develop and eat it. You'll see the ammonia levels rise, and then nitrites rise as the ammonia is eaten. The other BB will then grow, eating nitrites and leaving nitrates. You will now see the nitrates show up. Once you have no ammonia and nitrites, and the nitrates have started show up, you are cycled. Nitrates will be controlled by water changes.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  7. LucyModeratorModerator Member

8. Nitro JunkieValued MemberMember

2 or 3 male guppies may work.
    1 Dwarf Gourami may work.
    1 Betta would work.
    3 or 4 Nerite snails,and Dwarf Shrimp would work.
    1 ADF would work.
    3 or 4 White Cloud Minnows would work.
    1 CPO,1 Micro Crab,and Dwarf Shrimp would work.
    4 or 5 Microrasbora Kubotai would work.

Lots of options really.

9. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

welcome to FL, Nitro. With all due respect, I am going to totally disagree on this. I also think DGs are recommended for a minimum 10 gallons, but I've never had one of those. The guppies I have.

10. Nitro JunkieValued MemberMember

I am assuming you have had bad results?That's why I said may work.

I have 3 male guppies in 3 different 5 gallon tanks. Never had a problem. I have done this for years.

11. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

Mine were in a 30 and still barely worked. ;)
    They got aggressive with one another - figured problems would be worse in a smaller space.

12. LucyModeratorModerator Member

I had guppies in a 5g for a Q time, personally, I wouldn't keep them there long term.
    Imo, they need more swim room.

13. Nitro JunkieValued MemberMember

DG are the same size as Betta,slow swimmers,and don't need much room. There are plenty of people in my fish club that keep them in 5's. I have too,just not at the moment. The biggest problem with DG,and Bettas right now is that the supply of them is fairly poor. Even in ideal conditions,they are tough to keep alive. If you go with a DG or Betta,you may want to try and find a local breeder to get one from.

14. LucyModeratorModerator Member

Again, just my experience, I wouldn't put a DG in a 5g. Although they're about the same size as a betta, imo, a DG enjoys more swim space.

I totally agree with the unhealthy supply of DG's in the stores. Pretty sad, really.
    So much so that I don't feel comfortable recommending them any more.
    I wouldn't get another unless it's locally bred.

15. ElodeaWell Known MemberMember

To cycle the tank properly, it should take more or less of 2 months.

Pretty good ideas, Nitro. I personally think that #3, #4, and #5 are the very best options. Especially #4, though I'm sure that Lucy will disagree with me on that. ;D

16. LucyModeratorModerator Member

lol, maybe :p. Isn't #4 the snails? I don't know enough about them to say if that's a good recommendation or not.

17. ShineWell Known MemberMember

One of my 5 Gs is a Red Cherry Shrimp tank (and a bunch of different small snails) They seem pretty happy, and they are interesting to watch :)

My other 5 'contains' a rather self obsessed betta, and a mystery snail ;D

18. ElodeaWell Known MemberMember

Yep, the snails and the dwarf shrimp. I love smaller inverts tanks. If you ask me, I've always thought that you'd go for the one with ADFs. LOL

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice