I need to get rid of this algae problem.

Ant

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I posted a while back as it was growing on my driftwood. Since then it has spread to other plants. I really don't want to do bleach solutions, I'm wondering what my options are. It looks like brown/black hair.

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Does it wipe off easily when you rub it between your thumb and index finger? If so, its likely that it is Diatoms.

They eventually DO go away on their own and is inevitable in a new tank. Almost every new tank experiences them.
Other factors encourage growth ( old bulbs, NOT enough light, phosphate imbalance )

You cold get snails such as Nerite to help cut own on them. Nerites are nice because they don't breed in fresh water and you could have several.

Good luck!

Dondomingo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'd second junne on the lights. It's a balancing act, not enough light+slow growing plants to out compete the algae can bring brown algae, too much light + not enough or slow growing plants to outcompete the algae gives you the green stuff.

T-5 and the rest of those type bulbs can start loosing power in as little as two years. Plus with the above problems and excess nutrients in the water from ferts, soil or the tap is a recipe for algae.

So, evaluate your plant types, photoperiods and water conditions.

So you can try to increase photoperiods a bit, try things like purigen to lower excess nitrate/amonia , there's one that lowers phosphates but I haven't tried it. Check your light bulbs as well for age.

Snails and otocinclus (not sure if they eat the hairy stuff)

The last resort cost a bit of money, uv sterilizers can lower the algae content of tanks.

Hope that helps

Ant

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The light is new, t5 bulb. Sea chem soil, and I follow instructions for liquid ferts. Nitrates are 5-10 ppm. Not sure about phosphates, but I use reverse osmosis water with a touch of tap so I can control the minerals.

I might try nerites, ive heard chinese algae eaters eat it, but they can be agressive and I don't like them much. The shrimp are new. I wonder if they will help too.

AlyeskaGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
That doesn't look like Diatoms to me. The fuzz could be Rhizoclonium.

Phosphates do not cause algae. Its a Macro nutrient for plants. Target range is 0.50-5 ppm or higher. Phosphates is dosed into higher light tanks to control Green Spot Algae. I dose phosphates into my planted tank.

Ant

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So what do you advise? I have them on a driftwood. I have taken it out before and wiped it off but it didn't fix the problem. Now it's on a plant. I'm tempted to just replant it in my silver dollar tank lol and remove the driftwood and use a brillo pad along with a bleach solution to kill it off hopefully.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom