I Need To Get Rid Of My Cyanobacteria

TheDojoMojo

so I've got a problem with cyanobacteria in my 50 gal tank and I've tried turning the lights off and feeding less but it still came back again and again so I asked ppl a few months ago and they said to use peroxide and then it worked but it still came back and I just want something to get rid of it forever!!

PeteStevers

3% Hydrogen Peroxide worked for me. I had it on a good portion of substrate and in some plants. One treatment worked for me and haven't seen it in a couple of months (knock on wood). Just FYI... I shut off all water flow and drained about 25% of the water. Then, I used the spray bottle of HP directly on the Cyanobacteria and let set for about 5-10 minutes. Then refilled the tank and turned the filters back on. During the 5-10 minutes (and after refilling) I noticed a lot of fizzing telling me that it was killing the bacteria. The next day, it was completely gone.

TheDojoMojo

wow I might try that again but my cyanobacteria is in a lot o places scattered around my tank and I feel like I would miss a spot and than it would all come back so is there another method that I could use to kill all of it?

PeteStevers

I have read about a product called ChemiClean. It tends to be used in saltwater to rid red algae (form of Cyanobacteria). I would recommend spot treating though. Just kill off spots over time. Is this a newly setup aquarium? I've also read that this is common in new tanks and usually subsides.

TheDojoMojo

my tank is about 7 months

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Awesomeneptune
  • Algae
Replies
Views
TClare
  • Question
  • Chewbacca773
  • Algae
Replies