I need tank mates for my Panda Corys 20 Gallon Tank

1. TimWAZZU Initiate Member

Hi all,

I am looking for stocking ideas for a 20 gallon tall tank. Right now I have 6 panda corys and about 50 cherry shrimp. I would like to get some tank mates for my corys, but I would also like to get something that could perform some population control on the cherry shrimp.

Any ideas?

The tank is about 7 months old and very stable.

2. atc84 Well Known Member Member

hmmmm you could put in a male betta. or a german blue ram or 2.

3. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

The best cherry shrimp hunters I ever had were badis badis, not many baby shrimp ever survived.
    They are tiny fish though & not very active except when hunting & you couldn't keep a large group as the males are very territorial.
    A Honey gourami would go with your corys or a trio of sparkling gourami

4. JeffK Well Known Member Member

5. TimWAZZU Initiate Member

I am thinking about getting some oto's to add to this tank. Does that affect anyones previous suggestions?

6. JeffK Well Known Member Member

Just keep in mind that oto's also prefer groups of 6 or more. With 6x panda cores and 6x otos you'll be pretty well stocked. If you like catfish, though, this is a tank for you! :)

7. TimWAZZU Initiate Member

I ended up deciding against otos. I bought 7 tiger barbs, a bristle nose catfish and another panda. So the tank has 7 pandas, 7 tiger barbs, cherry shrimp, and a bristlenose catfish.

8. TimWAZZU Initiate Member

I had a male betta in there, but I don't think he could swim fast enough to catch the shrimp and he always picked on the pandas. I also had german blue rams, but I guess I didn't take good enough care of them because they both died.

9. TimWAZZU Initiate Member

Do you think I overstocked with what I bought?

10. atc84 Well Known Member Member

maybe. if you have a test kit watch your ammonia and if it gets past .5 then do a water change or add prime. :)

11. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Imo you're overstocked, tiger barbs need more space as they can get to around 3".
    They look cute in the Lfs but they're usually juveniles & nowhere near adult size, imo tiger barbs shoud be kept in a species only tank.
    I have seen them rip fins off corys once they get bigger, if I was you I'd return them & have a small school of something smaller like espei rasboras or ember tetra

12. JeffK Well Known Member Member

The BN pleco has a fairly large bio-load (in other words, they're big poopers!) I do think the tank is a bit overstocked IMO.

13. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Agree with Coradee : Tiger barbs should e kept in a bigger tank and can be little "terrorists" when kept wrong.

14. TimWAZZU Initiate Member

Ok, so I did take the advice on keeping the tiger barbs in a species only tank.

I now have a ten gallon tank with 7 tiger barbs.

And a 20 gallon with 7 pandas, 2 cherry barbs, 2 platys, 2 mollys, 1 BN pleco, and one dwarf gourami.