I need some rocks to tie annubias/swords/java fern onto

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by petaddiction, Aug 2, 2014.

1. petaddiction

petaddiction Well Known Member Member

hey guys-
    just wondering where you guys get rocks from? I need some rocks to tie annubias/swords/java fern onto but I'm not sure where to get some.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

You can look on beaches & streams etc, or if you're willing to pay for them a lot of Lfs have them.
    If you collect from outside make sure they're thoroughly cleaned before use, boiling water will kill most nasties

3. OP
    OP
    petaddiction

what about craft stores?

4. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Craft stores tend to sell "pretty" rocks with veins in them & unless you know what those veins are they could affect your Ph & some may contain heavy metals or copper that could affect your fish & kill inverts

5. M

Machine11 Well Known Member Member

I cut the fake plants I had off and used the weight on the bottom

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. OP
    OP
    petaddiction

rocks?

I don't really feel comfortable finding rocks & not knowing what type of rocks they are and how they will affect my ph in the tank.

Thanks! There's sadly no weights for me to use. I'm just starting up this tank. :(

7. Phishphin

Phishphin Well Known Member Member

If you aren't comfortable pulling from outside (I'm with you on that one), you can always look up some of the online aquascaping stores. It will definitely be more expensive, but you can sleep soundly knowing it won't mess with your chemistry and water quality. I, personally, am a huge fan of Seiryu stones. I have about 15 lbs of them sitting in my basement. If you buy a few more from folks than you think you will use, you can be more selective in the shapes and sizes you put in your tank.

8. Fishy Friends

Fishy Friends Well Known Member Member

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  9. Theman1

Theman1 Valued Member Member

I get all of my rocks out of the river by my house. I clean them multiple times with a scrub brush and hot water. After I make sure they are absolutely clean I put them in a 5 gallon bucket and pour boiling water over them. I then also soak them in another water bucket dosed with prime for 24 hours.

I was also told once that if you pour some vinegar on the rock and if it bubbles do not use the rock.

I have been collecting rocks from the river for my tanks for over a year now and haven't seen a change in my PH at all. I live in Northeast PA and get them out of the Susquehanna River.

10. Phishphin

Phishphin Well Known Member Member

It probably depends a lot on location as to whether or not its worth the risk. I live outside of a major city and I wouldn't trust the water ways for anything. Same if living near farm lands that use pesticides.

11. OP
    OP
    petaddiction

Yeah I don't really trust all the pollution and stuff in the rivers.
    I could use slate I guess. Can you get slate from Home Depot or something?
    I don't need anything too big, I just need something small that I can tie java fern/annubias onto because I can't plant them into the substrate.

12. Rivieraneo

Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Fishing weights are usually made of lead or stainless steel, are there ones made of plastic or of a material that has not potential of leaching into the water ? :;sh

I've personally only used rock bought at LFS's

13. s

str8shooter Valued Member Member

Alot of the big stores like wal-mart sell rocks. I dont know how big you need but they have about 1-3 inch rocks. Its on the smaller side but they arnt super expensive.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

14. Theman1

Theman1 Valued Member Member

Agreed. It probably depends on your location.

15. OP
    OP
    petaddiction

rocks?

Okay thanks. Hm not sure where I'll end up getting them but we'll see.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  16. Fishy Friends

Fishy Friends Well Known Member Member

Thanks for bringing this to my attention - I should have mentioned they were non-lead (& kinda cute too)
    I edited my post☺ Here is the again -

http://www.amazon.com/Lead-free-fis...id=1407190251&sr=8-3&keywords=non+lead+sinker

17. g

guthrieb08 Valued Member Member

Go to a garden supply store and see if they have some of the stones for doing the outside of a garden or driveway or a landscaping store

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  18. d

dgmirage Valued Member Member

i was in the same situation as you not long ago. i went to a hardware store and they suggested a pond store not too far away. they had a ton to choose from. good luck!

19. Bob Ellis

Bob Ellis Valued Member Member

One can purchase tungsten fishing weights. Much friendlier than lead.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice