I need some opinions, 5 or 10 gallon kit?

BettaQueenInTheory

Okay, hello everyone!
I am trying to convince my parents to get me a betta fish as some of you know and need some advice on which tank I should get.
There is a 10 gallon kit for roughly 80 dollars on Chewy or a cheaper 5 gallon kit for about 60. This is including everything but the betta and some plants.
Thanks,
Betta Queen

ChrissFishes01

You can go to Petsmart and get a 10 gallon kit (Top Fin tank, heater, filter, lid, and light) for 64.99 when not on sale. Or, a 5.5 gallon kit (tank, filter, lid and light) for 39.99.

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

All i gotta say as a parent: Do you have a good track record of taking care of other fish/critters/pets in general?

Upvote 0

SouthAmericanCichlids

Walmart sells a 10 and a 5 gallon kit for 30 bucks, and it comes with net, filter, dechlorinator sampel, and a heater in the 10g one.

Upvote 0

Dechi

Definitely get the 10 gallons. 5 gallons are hard to maintain, as the volume of water is so small any mistake can have serious consequences.

I bought both my 5 gallon and 10 gallon at Walmart. I think all you need extra is a heater, substrate and decorations/plants.

To convince your parents, write down your maintenance schedule and prepare a budget for all acqusition and maintenance costs. This will show them you have done your homework and know what you‘re getting into.

Upvote 0

goldface

People have given you some good options for better prices. I'm going to assume space and price is a big factor. In that regard, a 5 or 5.5g is probably the most favorable option in their eyes. I disagree that 5g aquariums are difficult to maintain.

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

People have given you some good options for better prices. I'm going to assume space and price is a big factor. In that regard, a 5 or 5.5g is probably the most favorable option in their eyes. I disagree that 5g aquariums are difficult to maintain.
I just did more water changes a week on them is all. Basically 2 Big GULP! cups taken out and put in each time

Upvote 0

goldface

I just did more water changes a week on them is all. Basically 2 Big GULP! cups taken out and put in each time
I currently have a 55g and 40g running. I used to run a 2.6 Fluval Spec 3 and a 5.5g. The smaller aquariums, in my opinion, were easier to manage--as long as they're properly stocked. I could complete a 50 percent or more water change on the 2 nanos witihin 5 minutes vs. 20-30 minutes for my larger ones. Managing a single betta in a 5g is a piece of cake.

Upvote 0

Dechi

I could complete a 50 percent or more water change on the 2 nanos witihin 5 minutes vs. 20-30 minutes for my larger ones. Managing a single betta in a 5g is a piece of cake.

Of course it’s easier for someone with ton’s of experience like you. We’re talking to a rookie here, someone with no experience at all. It’s purely mathematical; drop 1 ml of poison in 5 gallons and drop 1 ml of poison in 100 gallons. Which fish are the most likely to survive ?

That’s what I meant. The bigger the tank, the more forgiving it is. Of course we don’t drop poison in our tanks, but people make mistakes while learning, it’s a natural process. A 10 gallons will be more forgiving that a 5 gallons.

Upvote 0

goldface

Of course it’s easier for someone with ton’s of experience like you. We’re talking to a rookie here, someone with no experience at all. It’s purely mathematical; drop 1 ml of poison in 5 gallons and drop 1 ml of poison in 100 gallons. Which fish are the most likely to survive ?

That’s what I meant. The bigger the tank, the more forgiving it is. Of course we don’t drop poison in our tanks, but people make mistakes while learning, it’s a natural process. A 10 gallons will be more forgiving that a 5 gallons.
I don't believe fishkeeping is difficult even for novices. All it takes to have success is to research and understand the basic fundamentals of filtration, cycling, and water changes, as well as a modicum of common sense. Reading and hearing about the different opinions on care and deciding which ones to incorporate can be a bit daunting, and perhaps the most difficult aspect for new hobbyists.

Regardless, if the OP can manage to get a 10g, then that's great. It definitely opens up more options down the line, if he/she chooses to add additional stock. However, if it's a difference between having a 5g or no tank at all, I would not dissuade anyone from choosing the 5g.

Upvote 0

veggieshark

With fish tanks, the bigger the better, but if your parents are willing to get you a 5g but not so eager to get a 10g, then you can have a betta in that 5g for sure. As they get used to having a fish in the house, they may open up to ideas. If it is a budget issue, and they are OK with those $60-$80 tanks you found online, you can surely prove there are cheaper options.

Upvote 0

Dechi

However, if it's a difference between having a 5g or no tank at all, I would not dissuade anyone from choosing the 5g.

I agree ! A 5 gallons is a nice place to start and learn as well.

Upvote 0

Theulli

If you can talk your parents into 10G do it. What happens is you get a little tank, and then if you decide this whole fish thing is fun you start kicking yourself about all the plants and critters you could get if you had space. So basically get the biggest tank you can.

Upvote 0

BettaQueenInTheory

Okay thank you everyone for your opinions! I already have a 55 gallon and a 20 gallon so my parents have accepted that fish are a part of my life lol
But hopefully I can try for a 10 gallon

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
JettsPapa
  • Question
Replies
Views
Fishnpups
Replies