I need some help

Texasfishkepper

Reaction score
I have a 75 gallon saltwater tank fish only with about 60 lbs of rock and 40+ pounds of sand. Its been running for almost a year. Now I want to make it a reef tank I have most of the equipment I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything. I have a canister filter rated for a 125 I clean it every other day, protien skimmer, 2 coral lights for got the name, 2 800 gph power heads and 2 250watt heaters. I have both test kits now. Anything else I need like tank addatives like calcium? I only have 3 fish so the tank is very clean since there so small for the tank.

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
You’ll need supplements if your going with stony corals like calcium, magnesium and alkalinity powder. Iodine too. I personally hate canister filters for a reef tank because they hold nitrates but if you clean it every other day you should be fine. Just make sure you have good lighting and a good protein skimmer.
You’ll need something to measure your supplements and salinity too.

Texasfishkepper

Reaction score
saltwater60 said:
You’ll need supplements if your going with stony corals like calcium, magnesium and alkalinity powder. Iodine too. I personally hate canister filters for a reef tank because they hold nitrates but if you clean it every other day you should be fine. Just make sure you have good lighting and a good protein skimmer.
You’ll need something to measure your supplements and salinity too.
Okay ty

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
A lot of it depends on the individual corals you get as well. My tank is dominated by hammer and frogspawn corals (of the Euphyllia variety of LPS Corals) and I almost never dose anything and they do well. So I would look into the needs of individual corals as well as general guidelines and see what you want for your tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom