I Need Some Help With Ro Water

snowballPLECO

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My PH in tests keeps fluxuating anywhere between 6.5-7.6.. I tested 5 straight times and each time I get a different result.. I don't understand, and I'm still cycling my tank, my ammonia is currently @ 1ppm and 0 nitrites/0 nitrates..

I'm day 15 into my fish-in cycle, and I am using RO water, and my Ph is constantly changing which I think is affecting my cycle process.. yesterday I had .25 nitrite and then vanished 5 minutes later.. my ph constantly swings and not to mention constantly having to get RO water is a pain... is there anyway Ican switch to Tap water and not have the process be affected or the fish? any help would be appreciated, thanks.. would like to simply switch to tap water

Seasoldier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wouldn't worry about the Ph for now (unless you're doing a fish in cycle?). I'd concentrate on getting the cycle completed & let the tank settle then test Ph & see what it's at.

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Threads have been merged so all the information is in one place

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How are you remineralizing the water? Ph swing happens when there is a lack of minerals in the water.

Seasoldier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My PH in tests keeps fluxuating anywhere between 6.5-7.6.. I tested 5 straight times and each time I get a different result.. I don't understand, and I'm still cycling my tank, my ammonia is currently @ 1ppm and 0 nitrites/0 nitrates..

I'm day 15 into my fish-in cycle, and I am using RO water, and my Ph is constantly changing which I think is affecting my cycle process.. yesterday I had .25 nitrite and then vanished 5 minutes later.. my ph constantly swings and not to mention constantly having to get RO water is a pain... is there anyway Ican switch to Tap water and not have the process be affected or the fish? any help would be appreciated, thanks.. would like to simply switch to tap water
OK, now the Ph swings make more sense as @Thunder o b says above, is there something wrong with your tap water which made you go for RO?

snowballPLECO

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
OK, now the Ph swings make more sense as @Thunder o b says above, is there something wrong with your tap water which made you go for RO?

No, I am new to the hobby.. Had no idea about anything, went into a LFS got a used tank and the guy suggested ro water said its great so i was like ok, then i did reaearch and kept testing my pH and it swings like crazy. I want to swap to my tap water, how can i do that without harming my cycle/fish? thank you. LFS don’t supply you with important info

TexasGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Ph swings can kill fish.. you need to get some Kh to stabilize it. Crushed sea shells, SeaChem alkalinity, or a little baking soda temporarily.

To use tap, you'll need a water conditional like SeaChem prime. LFS has some.

snowballPLECO

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So should I take out 20% water, and get 20% tap in a bucket and put prime in it and then put it in the tank? or am I simply using 20% tap with the RO to stabalize it more?

TexasGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Depending on how hard your water is, that may not be enough to stabilize... also, if you have live plants. Cycling has been reported to cause ph swings, so you may need a little more as well.
Your fishless cycling, so I would just use straight tap water. The bacteria doesn't grow as well in lower Ph either, another reason to use tap instead of R/O.

snowballPLECO

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Depending on how hard your water is, that may not be enough to stabilize... also, if you have live plants. Cycling has been reported to cause ph swings, so you may need a little more as well.
Your fishless cycling, so I would just use straight tap water. The bacteria doesn't grow as well in lower Ph either, another reason to use tap instead of R/O.

No, I have 3 Danios.. Been 15 days since I got them. I think switching to Tap will help alleviate the swings and overall easier maintenece long term

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I wouldn’t switch to tap too quickly. Do small 5% WCs with tap every other day. This should be slow enough not to shock anything.

Seasoldier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No, I am new to the hobby.. Had no idea about anything, went into a LFS got a used tank and the guy suggested ro water said its great so i was like ok, then i did reaearch and kept testing my pH and it swings like crazy. I want to swap to my tap water, how can i do that without harming my cycle/fish? thank you. LFS don’t supply you with important info
OK you can switch to tap slowly over a few days without any problem as long as you get a de-chlorinator like Prime to neutralize the chlorine / chloramine & heavy metals in your tap water then you won't have to play around with remineralising the RO & hopefully the Ph should settle down & your cycle should continue normally. What are you using to test your water parameters? As you have fish in you'll need to keep a close eye on the ammonia & nitrites & do partial water changes to keep it safe for the danios if they rise too much. Have you used a bacteria stater like TSS to give the beneficial bacteria in your filter a stater boost?

snowballPLECO

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I wouldn’t switch to tap too quickly. Do small 5% WCs with tap every other day. This should be slow enough not to shock anything.
Ok, so basically take 5% out everyday prime the water then put it in should be fine right? My danios have been tough thus far.

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Take out 5% of the RO water and refill the tank with conditioned tap water daily. Every other day I see a bit more desireable, but it will take forever.

snowballPLECO

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
OK you can switch to tap slowly over a few days without any problem as long as you get a de-chlorinator like Prime to neutralize the chlorine / chloramine & heavy metals in your tap water then you won't have to play around with remineralising the RO & hopefully the Ph should settle down & your cycle should continue normally. What are you using to test your water parameters? As you have fish in you'll need to keep a close eye on the ammonia & nitrites & do partial water changes to keep it safe for the danios if they rise too much. Have you used a bacteria stater like TSS to give the beneficial bacteria in your filter a stater boost?

I tried Stability, didn’t work. I have the master test kit, i test multiple times a day, something weird happened yesterday — tested for Nitrites and got a .25 reading then retested and it was gone. My ammonia is at 1ppm and no nitrates either.

Seasoldier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I tried Stability, didn’t work. I have the master test kit, i test multiple times a day, something weird happened yesterday — tested for Nitrites and got a .25 reading then retested and it was gone. My ammonia is at 1ppm and no nitrates either.
OK, IMO your tank is still trying to cycle, the 3 danios won't provide enough of a bio load to feed the growing bacteria colony & you won't now be able to use pure ammonia in the water to feed the BB with the fish in so I think the only thing you can do is over feed so that the waste from the danios plus the excess uneaten food will be enough for the BB to live on & grow until the colony is established but as I said previously keep a very close eye on the ammonia & nitrites & water change as necessary.

TexasGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
With an ammonia level of 1ppm, there is plenty of food. I think the low pH is slowing the cycle. 5% seems overly conservative, he already has swings. I'd do 20%. Even a pH difference of say 2, that would only move it .4 per day.. well within the recommended change.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom