I need some help with my glofish danios

Danito

Hello 2 months ago I bought a few Danios. But on the last week I saw 2 of them like getting fat and I’m so worried. Please can someone help me with this
EDA8D10A-AF32-4202-84C7-07391735C191.jpeg

AquaCaitlin

Hello!
I don’t own danios but here are a few initial questions that might help others help you.

1) is their tank cycled? (If you don’t know what this means read a few articles on the nitrogen cycle)
2) what do you feed them?
3) how often do you feed them?
4) what size is their aquarium?
5) any signs of sickness such as stringy/clear poo? Laziness?

CoryBoi

CrayfishAreAwesome

mine is naturally fat too, and from the looks of it, plenty of other people have that problem. I just put mine on a "diet" and she is skinnier now.

yeti79

It is not unusual for danios to be fat. Danios are greedy eaters. The females will definitely get plump especially when with eggs. They don't seem to have pineconed scales. Cut back on the feeding and see if you see results but you probably have nothing to worry about.

Danito

CoryFan said:
Water parameters? what other fish? How many fish? Tank size?
I have 6 danios, about 13 ghost shrimp and 2 small turtles, the tank size is 24x17x12. I have a few plant and 3 moss balls, but seems like the smaller turtle is vegetarian she eats all the plants. I uploaded the water parameters on a photo, with the stick is enough?

AquaCaitlin said:
Hello!
I don’t own danios but here are a few initial questions that might help others help you.

1) is their tank cycled? (If you don’t know what this means read a few articles on the nitrogen cycle)
2) what do you feed them?
3) how often do you feed them?
4) what size is their aquarium?
5) any signs of sickness such as stringy/clear poo? Laziness?
1) I guess the tank is cycled but I’m not sure I followed all the instructions.
2 and 3) I gave them the bottle on the photo 2 at day, I feed my turtles out of the tank.
4) the tank is 24x17x12
6) they look like normal but 2 of them are fat. I haven’t saw the poo.

CrayfishAreAwesome said:
mine is naturally fat too, and from the looks of it, plenty of other people have that problem. I just put mine on a "diet" and she is skinnier now.
Hope mines are normally fat too

yeti79 said:
It is not unusual for danios to be fat. Danios are greedy eaters. The females will definitely get plump especially when with eggs. They don't seem to have pineconed scales. Cut back on the feeding and see if you see results but you probably have nothing to worry about.
Thanks so much. Hope they are well!

yeti79

Your readings appear fine. Try feeding some daphnia (it's like fiber for fish) and adding more variety to their diet. I have glo, zebra leopard and gold types myself. They enjoy bloodworms, tubifex, brine shrimp, mealworm flakes and tetramin granules.

Danito

yeti79 said:
Your readings appear fine. Try feeding some daphnia (it's like fiber for fish) and adding more variety to their diet. I have glo, zebra leopard and gold types myself. They enjoy bloodworms, tubifex, brine shrimp, mealworm flakes and tetramin granules.
Thanks so much. I will add some of those the diet. Well I don’t know if I can buy those on Amazon if not I have to wait until the quarantine is over.

yeti79

Danito said:
Thanks so much. I will add some of those the diet. Well I don’t know if I can buy those on Amazon if not I have to wait until the quarantine is over.
Get a lot of my food from Aquatic foods and blackworm co. on Ebay, aquaticblendedfoods, Aquarium co-op and the mealworm flakes at walmart.

Danito

Thanks so much! I can’t believe you had all this and I was buying on Amazon, I should know this before.

yeti79

Danito said:
Thanks so much! I can’t believe you had all this and I was buying on Amazon, I should know this before.
You're welcome. There are probably many more too those are just the ones I like.

flyinGourami

Your danios look healthy to me. I'm no expert but if 2 are getting fat they could just have eggs.

Random Great Thread

Top Bottom