I Need Some Advice On Plecos

Seth Darkus
I have lost 2 plecos within a month apart however I still got one from May still alive and my last pleco, I’m not sure why they are dying yet my shrimp are fine heck I haven’t lost any shrimp and my betta fine as well, The plecos don’t have any damage to their body’s so I been thinking illness but how come everything else in my tank is fine including the shrimp? My tank did spike to 88f today and I don’t think I’m buying more plecos till the 40 gallon is set up

Giul
How big is the Betta Tank? It may be too small so it’s footprint isn’t big enough for the pleco

CatfishGuy
what type of pleco? How big is the current tank?

Seth Darkus
Common and it’s a 10 gallon tank the plecos are small, should mention I have a nearly 5 month old painted turtle in the tank but he has no interest in live fish or shrimp just worms and omega pellets unless something takes his pellets than he chases them till they drop it lol, he going in the 40 gallon once it’s set up luckily unlike a fish he can go right in once it’s nice and toasty lol up side he helps the cycle lol.

Giul
Common and it’s a 10 gallon tank the plecos are small

Unfortunately common plecos get huge and will very easily outgrow your tank. I’m sorry but they will not work for your tank. Snails would be happy in a 10 gallon though!

CatfishGuy
Common and it’s a 10 gallon tank the plecos are small, should mention I have a nearly 5 month old painted turtle in the tank but he has no interest in live fish or shrimp just worms and omega pellets unless something takes his pellets than he chases them till they drop it lol, he going in the 40 gallon once it’s set up luckily unlike a fish he can go right in once it’s nice and toasty lol up side he helps the cycle lol.
I'd say to rehome the plecos and if you absolutely feel you NEED a pleco, I'd get a clown pleco or a bristlenose, because as you've probably seen a billion times, common plecos grow to like 2 ft and they need massive tanks.

Idk bout the turtle though, you might have to ask the reptile forum on here.

EDIT: oh, also, clown plecos and bristlenose plecos need a bare minimum of a 20 gallon long (30"x12"x12").

Seth Darkus
I'd say to rehome the plecos and if you absolutely feel you NEED a pleco, I'd get a clown pleco or a bristlenose, because as you've probably seen a billion times, common plecos grow to like 2 ft and they need massive tanks.

Idk bout the turtle though, you might have to ask the reptile forum on here.
We are talking small plecos that I plan to put in my 40 gallon breeder lol

What I wanna know is why they die while my amano shrimp are perfectly fine and healthy

Giul
What food did you give them?

CatfishGuy
What I wanna know is why they die while my amano shrimp are perfectly fine and healthy
well, what did the plecos look like when they died/while they died/after they died?

Seth Darkus
well, what did the plecos look like when they died/while they died/after they died?
Well one was kinda hiding behind the shielded heater for like 2 days, I thought he was dead I touched his tail fin and he was alive than 5 hours later he died, however he looked and acted perfectly fine, both were bought at Petco, tank ph floats between 6.5-6.8, dose not bother the shrimp or the betta but I usually lose one right after any fluxes within temp, example other day it hit 90f due to weather, heater is preprogrammed for 78. My filtration and plants do such a good job ammonia and nitrate are non existent. More so when I do a daily 5% water change.

Well one was kinda hiding behind the shielded heater for like 2 days, I thought he was dead I touched his tail fin and he was alive than 5 hours later he died, however he looked and acted perfectly fine, both were bought at Petco, tank ph floats between 6.5-6.8, dose not bother the shrimp or the betta but I usually lose one right after any fluxes within temp, example other day it hit 90f due to weather, heater is preprogrammed for 78. My filtration and plants do such a good job ammonia and nitrate are non existent. More so when I do a daily 5% water change.

Seth Darkus
Cause of death was ghost shrimp eating them. I isolated the ghost shrimp to a heated planted fish bowl, I think I’m going to stick to my amano and neos

DarkOne
Ghost shrimp can't kill a pleco.

Seth Darkus
Ghost shrimp can't kill a pleco.
Tell that to the ghost shrimp feasting on a live healthy pleco

I moved my 4 month old turtle outta the 10 gallon into the 40 breeder, 2 days later my last pleco has a big chunk missing and a ghost shrimp picking at it while the fish is still alive.

goldface
The turtle did it.

Seth Darkus
The turtle did it.
Turtle wasn’t in the tank at the time of the wound.

goldface
Turtle wasn’t in the tank at the time of the wound.
I know what you wrote. I just don’t find you to be a reliable narrator of events. A ghost shrimp isn’t going to be able to take a chunk out of a common pleco, an armored catfish. I’ve seen how carnivorous painted and red eared turtles are in the wild. If anything is going to be taking chunks of flesh off a fish, it would be them.

Seth Darkus
Plus the turtle doesn’t even eat fish or shrimp, he lived with 7 ghost shrimp, 10 amanos, Lung snails and a betta for 4 months. Of the live stock he lived with he made the lung snails go to near extinction, one ghost shrimp died and all the amanos lived.

I know what you wrote. I just don’t find you to be a reliable narrator of events. A ghost shrimp isn’t going to be able to take a chunk out of a common pleco, an armored catfish. I’ve seen how carnivorous painted and red eared turtles are in the wild. If anything is going to be taking chunks of flesh off a fish, it would be them.
They can given enough time, takes a superworm like a week to eat a carrot

goldface
Plus the turtle doesn’t even eat fish or shrimp, he lived with 7 ghost shrimp, 10 amanos, Lung snails and a betta for 4 months. Of the live stock he lived with he made the lung snails go to near extinction, one ghost shrimp died and all the amanos lived.
If he could, he will. It’s what turtles do.

Seth Darkus
These little guys did a number plus I’m not the first person to report ghost shrimp displaying this behavior. Think it’s a factor of slow bottom dwelling fish they take as a easy meal

If he could, he will. It’s what turtles do.
he had 4 months and he didn’t

Attachments

• F8C718A1-29FF-43F2-8452-5C97C22D4198.jpeg
    F8C718A1-29FF-43F2-8452-5C97C22D4198.jpeg
    79.6 KB · Views: 80
goldface
These little guys did a number plus I’m not the first person to report ghost shrimp displaying this behavior. Think it’s a factor of slow bottom dwelling fish they take as a easy meal

he had 4 months and he didn’t
Ok, they’re your pets. I’m just telling you the most likely cause, but your reasoning/thinking further reinforces my own opinion of what happened.

Seth Darkus
Ok, they’re your pets. I’m just telling you the most likely cause, but your reasoning/thinking further reinforces my own opinion of what happened.
It’s like a crime, turtle wasn’t in the tank, so if there a ghost shrimp feeding on it than it’s clearly the ghost shrimp

goldface
It’s like a crime, turtle wasn’t in the tank, so if there a ghost shrimp feeding on it than it’s clearly the ghost shrimp
You’re thinking of the Whisker shrimp which are known to be predatory and aggressive, and are often confused with Ghost shrimp. Are you in fact certain you have a Ghost shrimp? A picture would help immensely. But, regardless of what shrimp species you have, I still go by my original opinion: that it was the turtle all along.

Seth Darkus
He a good turtle. He just begs for food when he wants food. Keep in mind this turtle very domesticated since I had him since he had a yok sac. He not like a wild turtle, heck I can actually pet him and rub in between his eyes and he lets me. Overall he knows if he wants food he can get food, this is why I think he ignores shrimp and fish. However snails and bugs he will want to eat no matter what.

Attachments

• CEE108C2-D461-4F96-BBFE-3C33989D72B4.jpeg
    CEE108C2-D461-4F96-BBFE-3C33989D72B4.jpeg
    73.7 KB · Views: 84
Seth Darkus

7851235F-F715-498B-89CD-C6E71374350B.jpeg
BCAD562E-45E2-4BA9-97A6-DDF016DC5F02.jpeg
You’re thinking of the Whisker shrimp which are known to be predatory and aggressive, and are often confused with Ghost shrimp. Are you in fact certain you have a Ghost shrimp? A picture would help immensely. But, regardless of what shrimp species you have, I still go by my original opinion: that it was the turtle all along.
I gave a picture but here it is again

goldface
I’m not sure what I’m looking at. All I see are plants.

Also, yes, he’s a good-looking turtle. I wouldn’t go so far as to say he’s nice and friendly, however. The turtle maybe captive bred, but it isn’t a domesticated animal. If it can eat something more meaty, it probably would. The reason it was able to get a bite of the pleco was likely because it just sat there. That’s my opinion on the matter.

Seth Darkus
I’m not sure what I’m looking at. All I see are plants.

Also, yes, he’s a good-looking turtle. I wouldn’t go so far as to say he’s nice and friendly, however. The turtle maybe captive bred, but it isn’t a domesticated animal. If it can eat something more meaty, it probably would. The reason it was able to get a bite of the pleco was likely because it just sat there. That’s my opinion on the matter.
Your assumption is the turtle was in the tank when it happened but the turtle was moved to a bigger tank before it happened

Seth Darkus
Fed them so they became less transparent. My betta and the turtle are picky eaters they strictly like omega brand food can’t say I blame them it’s clearly more healthy, the turtle at first would only eat bugs than he got a taste of the betta omega pellets and fell in love with them so I got him turtle formula. Ie Salmon, Haring and cod has the main ingredients and the shrimp go crazy for it as well to a point even my peaceful amano fight for the stuff

Attachments

• E002F6A8-5148-415C-860F-D687BC85D7B5.jpeg
    E002F6A8-5148-415C-860F-D687BC85D7B5.jpeg
    77.9 KB · Views: 82
  • 8FBE4721-A2E5-4E9E-8BCA-D75CBAF943FA.jpeg
    8FBE4721-A2E5-4E9E-8BCA-D75CBAF943FA.jpeg
    69.6 KB · Views: 78

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Jenna Aston
Replies