I Need Opinions

spike98

I want to make a small 2.5 gallon or 5 gallon cherry shrimp tank so I can breed them out before putting them in my 29 gallon. I was wondering first which size to go with? Second if I add a sponge filter from my 29 gallon will that be enough filtration and bb to cycle the tank instantly and keep it filtered? I also plan to steal some plants from the 29 gallon. If I go with the 5 gallon I might eventually try introduce my betta to the tank as I have him in a divided 10 (treating him for velvet) and I actually wish to down size the tank and put my other betta up for adoption.

-Mak-

5 gallon is more stable and spacious. Don't add a betta if your goal is breeding, he'll eat the babies and maybe the adults. The sponge filter will give an instant cycle, but run the tank for a few weeks to let biofilm build up before adding shrimp.

spike98

I already have the shrimp but they're in a breeders net in my 29 gallon. I bought them when I was a distance from home as my lfs doesn't carry shrimp. My betta seems less aggressive as he left the snail I added to his tank alone while the other betta sucked the snail out of it's shell. I know it's a 50/50 shot but the other option is my 29 gallon with a Dwarf Gourami. They would have time to adjust and maybe multiply as I am treating him for velvet at the moment and wouldn't be able to add him for atleast 2 weeks.

Platylover

Even if he doesn’t eat the adults, the betta will eat the shrimplets. Adults are less likely because they are a bit larger, but shrimplets are so small and are the size of the food we typically feed bettas. You might have a chance to have some survive if you tank is practically all plants, but that is still pretty slim.

IMO you’d be better off with the gourami because there’s significantly more space. Granted this is with heavy planting to provide shelter for the shrimp and shrimplets, but gourami can also be known for eating shrimp and shrimplets.

What I’d suggest doing is setting up a temporary tank just for the shrimp to breed in, once you have how many you want then move them to an already inhabited tank.

Gatesy

I would not go to say that the sponge will instantly cycle the tank, but it will help a lot

My betta died earlier this year and I decided to redo the whole tank with the only thing recycled being the sponge filter, plants, a few ramshorn snails and tank itself
I added 4 endler livebearers and 8 Red cherry shrimp thinking the sponge will cycle it instantly and I had to battle ammonia and Nitrite for a week and a half

Lost 4 shrimp along the way

I wouldn't add a betta to a shrimp tank with such a large fish compared to shrimp I feel the shrimp will feel under threat all the time and it may eat too many shrimpletes

spike98

Thanks everyone. I knew it would be a jump to squeeze them in with the betta and I always knew the risk with the Dwarf Gourami but I there is way more spaces for the shrimp to hide in the 29 gallon. I'll likely get the five gallon and set up the temporary shrimp home maybe permanent if I like the tank and then when I get a lot of shrimp introduce them to my 29 gallon and see how they do.

spike98

Well I just started my 5 gallon shrimp tank. I have a few plants in there and moved one of my sponge filters from my 29 gallon to cycle it I'll test the parameters tonight.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Kjelli
  • Question
Replies
Views
betta06
  • Question
Replies
Views