I Need Nitrite Help... Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by OscarHoya, Apr 20, 2018.

1. OscarHoyaValued MemberMember

I've been spending a lot of time reading up on the water cycle for aquariums, but I'm still not where I need to be. And I've lost all but a couple fish. So here is what I have...

10 gallon tank is about 6 weeks old. I waited about 10 days before we put in fish. Also added one live Moss Fern. Now I realize the bacteria wasn't there. I had 2 mollies, 3 tetras and 1 catfish (all that is left is 1 tetra and the catfish). I tested at least once a week and continually saw 6.5 ph, 8.0 ammonia and zero nitrite/nitrate. Hardness is always around 150ppm.

So obviously I needed some beneficial bacteria. I made a homemade K1 filter that I learned from DIY Joey. Just a filter with a sponge at the mouth and K1 inside a water bottle with air being pumped in. This took time but seemed to work. My ammonia is now at 0 ppm but my nitrite is sky high at 5.0 ppm. I just did a 25% water changed and immediately did another test. Still 5.0 ppm. So, the water didn't dilute it out. I have Prime conditioner and I'm going to try it. What else can I do to get the bacteria I need to convert nitrite to nitrate? It's getting hard telling the kids that the fish went to heaven!

I see that missa124816 is having a similar issue, but the tests are different so I started my own thread.

2. TeslaValued MemberMember

You probably were at a lot higher than 5ppm hence even after 25% water change you are showing 5ppm nitrite which is probably also the reason for the loss of fishes.
    Few things that I would recommend - do a 70% water change for next 3-4 days daily and dose prime everytime you do the WC. Do this until you get nitrites below 1ppm which prime would help against and stop the damage to fishes.
    After that, check your water daily, every time you see ammonia above 1ppm do a 50% WC (which could be every other day) and dose prime. Continue to do this until you have the bacteria established and see 0 ammonia and nitrites. Water changes and prime are your best friend for next few days / weeks.
    You could add a seeded filter pad to your DIY filter to speed up the process.

3. OscarHoyaValued MemberMember

Great info Tesla, thanks! I'll give that a shot. I do care about the fish in there now but I'm trying to get the cycle right before we start adding more. Knowing what the cycle is and actually managing it are two different things!

4. musserump09Well Known MemberMember

Seachem stability will seed your filter very quickly with fish. It's great to have on hand for monthly maintenance on filters and adding new fish to main tanks. I highly recommend you purchase this bacteria since it works very well with prime.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice