I need my tank to cycle....

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by kidster9700, Jul 25, 2015.

1. kidster9700

kidster9700Well Known MemberMember

Okay, my ten gallon has a glo light in it. I hate it and want to give it away but I can use it to help my new fry tank cycle?
    Anyways! I need my tank to cycle. It's been going for a few days and just started cycling. The ammonia was like 2ppm yesterday and is down to .5 today. No nitrates yet. I don't have a nitrite test.
    I found some old seachem prime and put in probably a little more than what I should have mostly on accident. I brought over a lava rock from my established tank, and there's some Java moss and Marimo balls in there because whatever.
    It's using a sponge filter so I can't really stick my old filter media in there without poop going everywhere and stuff. Is there anything else I can do? I've never actually needed a tank to cycle quickly and I've always just let it happen.
    Water changes? Moving more stuff over? I don't want to move stuff over because I want that tank to be basically empty. I can TRY and get some of my sand in there and mix it with the new sand but that seems like a pain to replace in my big tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2015
  2. KarenLM

KarenLMWell Known MemberMember

If you can spare some filter media from your established tank you can just put it in the new tank I believe. It doesn't have to be in a filter IMO.

Edit: I should read more slowly - your old filter media - just give it a swish in some tank water in a bucket from your established tank - you can top up that tank after - this should remove the poop, etc. you are concerned about.

3. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

I use like carbon cartridges though so one side collects all the poo and stuff. Won't that all come off in my new tank if it's not in a filter?

4. KarenLM

I edited my last post - take a look.

5. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Okay thank you. And that won't remove all the bacteria?
    How long can I expect the tank to take to cycle then? I need to get my Molly fry moved over and I will have platy fry very soon. I actually was hoping to move the momma platy in there so she could have a more comfortable birth.

EDIT: oh my gosh.... I forgot I haven't put a new filter cartridge in my tank yet. This old one is.... Just.... Completely brown. On both sides. Goop everywhere.
    Also, I don't want to do a water change the same day I replace my filter cartridge. So I don't have a bucket of tank water. NOW I do have a bucket of snail water. It's a snail bucket. Haha. And I'm sure they would love all the gross crud and gunk off my filter.

6. KarenLM

Swishing the media doesn't hurt the BB. With established BB in the tank the cycle should be really quick. I would put in the media and test in 24 hours to see where you stand.

7. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

So... Can I rinse this in the sink or tub or something? Like... Okay here's the backside that collects the gunk ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437852932.668134.jpg and here's the front that has the water come out from ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437852954.881615.jpg
    That's after a rinse in snail water. It turned the whole bucket brown. I don't want my new tank brown.

Maybe I could cut out some of the filter sponge part? I just... Wow.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2015
  8. KarenLM

Another option is to go buy a live BB product and add that to the tank. I think you guys in the USA talk about Seachem Stability as the go to product.

Also, be very careful not to overfeed that one fish in the tank - just a couple of flakes a day is all that is probably needed.

If your readings look good after trying these things, I would move your platy over as one fish may not be enough to sustain the cycle.

9. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

I feed it one flake every other day right now. And that's why I added the marimo balls and Java moss because plants helped my 38 cycle super fast so I figured maybe they would help keep it cycled. Water itself doesn't hold any bacteria, right? Ugh. What if I swished the cartridge in the new tank? Or does it really have to sit?

10. KarenLM

Just take a pitcher of water out of your established tank and into a small bucket. Put in the media and gently rub it with your fingers to remove the loose stuff. Swish it around some more and give it a little squeeze, then into the new tank. You should remove the carbon. Don't use chlorinated tap water.

11. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Thank you. And will the tap kill it all?

12. KarenLM

Chlorine will probably kill it.

A little brown in your new tank will clear up and wont hurt anything. It will just look a little brown for a while.

13. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

So the water after the swish was completely brown. Like, opaque within a centimeter. That was sooooo gross when I opened it up to remove the carbon. The whole inside was nasty.

14. KarenLM

Swish it several times in clean tank water if you like - just don't let it dry out at all. You can turn it inside out too for a swish.

15. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Yeah, I got it all swished. I just kept it in the gross water that it made while swishing so that way it didn't lose all the bacteria. I think a small portion was momentarily dry, but I know I kept at least half soaked.

16. KarenLM

So, is it in your new tank now?

17. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Yes

18. KarenLM

I would test tomorrow and see where your levels are.

Good luck. I hope things go quickly for you now.

19. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

So, if I have the prime which detoxifies ammonia and the like, can I put my platy in there now? I've never used the stuff before.

20. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

So I pulled out the heater in there to switch it with the adjustable and it was all gross and slimy... What's up with that? I didn't see anything on it but it was weird. Is that normal?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice