i need more help

drx300

Reaction score
i have two oscars in a 75 gal tank,when i bought em they were prettty much the same size,one has grown 10 times its size in 4 months the other has just doubled in size,is thier any way i can help one catch up to the other,is my tank too small for two of them,they bolth eat about the same amount,but the only thing growing is the one oscar ona placostomas,any sugestions...thanks

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Fish put out a hormone (I think it's called a pheronome) that inhibits growth in other fish, and since they are in the same tank, the smaller fish continues to get exposed. Try bumping up your water changes and see if this helps.

AngelSta

Reaction score
In most cases the size of the tank effects the growth of the fish, my guess is that the older one (if there is an older one) has grown very quickly leaving the younger one behind. Oscar number 2 has not enough room and his/her body is telling itself to slowdown. Don't worry, as long as it's not dying the fish will be alright, sometimes fish don't grow to there estimated size (its happened to me!) Look on the bright size, if it doesnt grow then you wont have to buy a bigger tank, if it does grow you might want to consider getting a 120 gallon im sorry but thats the reality of getting an oscar,theyneed HEAPS of room!
One more thing, oscars poop heaps and they need more cleaning up than the ordinary fish, if you dont do this regulary the oscars might be in trouble.
Hope this helps
AngelSta

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Fish may quit growing on the outside, but not on the inside. Organs continue to grow eventhough the body does not. They really are in a tank too small for the both of them, but if you keep up with the tank maintenance and up the water changes, hopefully they will stay healthy. Do a water change everytime your nitrates go above 20. Your nitrate level will be your guide. Be aware that as they grow, the water changes will probably increase. They are massive waste producers. You might also want to take a look at your filtration on that tank. A good rule of thumb is to look at the gallons per hour (gph) for your filter(s) and shoot for gph of 10 times the size of the tank if you are using HOB (hang on back) filters. If you have canister, then the formula is 5 times the size of your tank. Don't go by what the manufacturer says on the box like, "for up to 55 gallons", go by the gph.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom