I need information on a catfish.

Fisherfish

Good morning,

a friend of mine gave me this catfish and we can not I’d it. Been looking all over the internet and can’t find it. Any help would be great!

Awesomeneptune

I google lensed it and it came up with Hoplosternum littorale. It does look extremely similar, although i may be wrong. It's probably worth looking into them and trying to figure out if it could be one of them.

WRWAquarium

I think a hoplosternum catfish.

None of the synodontis match.

MacZ

Either Genus Callichthys or Hoplosternum.

chromedome52

It is a Callichthyidae species of subfamily Callichthyinae, generally referred to in the hobby as Hoplo Cats. I would suspect Leptoplosternum pectorale, the Dwarf Hoplo. The slightly elongate body shape resembles the images at Planet Catfish.

Fisherfish

Tha is for all the help! Looks like he won’t over grow the tank or eat everything at some point so he gets to stay!

MacZ

It is a Callichthyidae species of subfamily Callichthyinae, generally referred to in the hobby as Hoplo Cats. I would suspect Leptoplosternum pectorale, the Dwarf Hoplo. The slightly elongate body shape resembles the images at Planet Catfish.
The fish here in question has no spots. All pictures (anywhere) I can find of L. pectorale show fish a. much brighter and b. with small spots or dots. So I think it's rather a H. littorale, which seems to only have spots up until a certain size. It's also in bad shape, which might make the body shape look a bit more like a Lepthoplosternum species.

chromedome52

I think you're right, I didn't look at enough images.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Ksuar
Replies
Views
SavTheArtist
Replies
Views
MacZ
  • Jill Sanderson Springer