I Need Ideas For A Fish That Is Not Shy 29 Gallon Community Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by andy305mia, Jul 14, 2019.

1. andy305mia

andy305miaValued MemberMember

Hello, the title pretty much says it all, I have some cory and skirt tetra in there now along with some red eye tetra. I was thinking rasbora as I read they are not shy at all. My tank has plenty of cover but my tetra are chickens and I would like something that is not afraid. Thanks

2. NC122606

NC122606Well Known MemberMember

Pearl Gouramis...
    Mollies...

PG:
    They always come up to the tank when I come.
    They do funny stuff like spit sand at you.
    They make clicking noises sometimes.
    They are not aggressive (Unless you have shrimp...)
    They look good.
    I could go on...
    But I would get a pair of l them like I did. :)
    Only thing is they hide sometimes...

Mollies:
    They are super hyper.
    They pretend they are another fish.
    They go crazy for food bouncing up and down the walls.
    They also look good.
    They are not aggressive.
    They are really happy to see you at the tank.
    They never hide.
    They are not scared of your hand of the siphon whatsoever.
    They are good tank-mates.
    I could go on...
    Cons:
    They eat everything and love pooping

So I would suggest:
    1: Pair of Pearl Gourami
    2: 3x Mollies

3. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

Sometimes it's the size of the fishes school that makes a difference. How much of each fish type do you have?

A lot of the fish you have tend to grow larger in size, so I'd avoid both pearl gouramis and mollies sinxe they do grow larger than most community fish IMO.

4. OP
    OP
    andy305mia

5. OP
    OP
    andy305mia

5 red eye tetra, 5 black skirt tetra 4 peppered cory, 1 dwarf gourami. Im pretty heavily stocked as it is, so I might just keep it as it is. I will take any suggestions though. Thanks

6. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

I would up your school sizes and possibly add a couple of platies.
    8 red eye tetras
    8 skirt tetras
    1 DG
    8-10 peppered cories
    and maybe 1 or 2 female platies

7. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

Agree with this... somewhat. I'd avoid the platies, as you're already quiet full as is. As for upping school sizes, I'd personally add one or two fish to each species at most. Most of the fish you're keeping tends to easily obtain sizes greater than 2 inches, and a 29g doesn't offer them that much room.

8. Noroomforshoe

NoroomforshoeValued MemberMember

Red eye tetra and skirt tetra should not be shy, If you are looking for coming up to meet you eating out of your hand personable fish. I dont think you have room. sorry.
    You dont have room for another school, and rasbora are no less shy then tetras.
    like the others say up the schools, 6 is the bare minimum and you are not even at the minimum, I agree with
    8 red eyes, 8 skirts, and 8 cories.

9. OP
    OP
    andy305mia

Thanks everyone for the help. I lost a couple red eye tetras, don't think I will be stocking them anymore. I want something with more color, I will probably up my skirt tetras like everyone recommended. I don't want to do anymore corries because i don't really see much of them. I would love 2 or 3 platys, but I can't stand the stringy poop, and they poop ALOT. I won't add anymore glo tetra because I think they are expensive, instead, I am considering adding some white skirt tetra. I thought they were a nice looking fish and would compliment my glo tetra. So 17 should make for a heavily stocked 29 gallon tank. Thanks!
    10 skirt tetra
    4 peppered cory
    3 red eye tetra (what's left)

10. OP
    OP
    andy305mia

LOL I would love that. I have my green barb for that. I want to be able to go up to the tank and not have my fish scatter. My barb were smart enough to realize they are getting fed. I think a they are a highly underrated fish. They have an amazing green blue shiny color to them with orange tips, and they are NOT SHY. Only problem is that they don't get along with anything. I have kept tiger barb with other fish and they are a menace to society. I would say they are definitely worth keeping in a species only tank. I have 7 now in a 40 gallon with 4 corry cats with plenty of cover and they truly are an amazing fish. They almost ALWAYS school, which is super cool along with the color. I might consider waiting out my 29 and turning it into a tiger barb tank in the future. Im getting over the community fish thing, species only tanks offer a better experience imo. Thanks!

11. DarkOne

DarkOneFishlore VIPMember

Guppies. Get a M and F and let them breed in the tank. Most of the fry will probably be snacks but some will survive and you'll have a few more. If you try to save them all, you'll just have a tank full of guppies in a few months.

I got 4 pairs earlier this year as dithers and they're fearless. They actually come up to the top when I approach the tank, begging for food. I put a few in my other tanks and there's more activity from everyone now. They also eat algae so they're helping my planted tanks.

12. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

The cories are probably shy because you only have 4 of them. They are schooling fish and only having a few of them makes them feel nervous and vulnerable. If you had 8 or so they might be bolder and more outgoing.

13. OP
    OP
    andy305mia

The cories are not shy at all. They are the only ones that don't give a care lol. 8 would be nice but not what I'm looking for in this particular setup

14. yinoma2001

yinoma2001Valued MemberMember

Ditto on the Pearl Gourami. We have one in our 40G breeder and he is the most active and actually comes to greet me whenever I see the tank. He also gets along well with other tankmates and is gorgeous to look at, especially now that the dark bronze coloring is coming in as he ages.

15. Dch48

Dch48Well Known MemberMember

Mollies really need a fair amount of salt in the water to do well. I would agree with the Guppies. They are not shy at all and if you don't want them to multiply , just get 3 or 4 males of varying color types. They eat anything and are very active.

16. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

A couple guppies
    A couple honey Gouramis
    Up your Cory cat school
    I also agree although Pearl Gouramis get larger I have one in my 55 and is the official greeter of the tank :)

Attached Files: