I Need ideas for 55 gallon blackwater biotope

SouthAmericanCichlids

I am rescaping my 55g tank since it broke. So I want to make it a biotope aquarium but I don't have much money for it since I'm a teen with no job. So does anyone have any cheap designs. I saw Joey Mullen's (King of DIY) video and was thinking maybe something like that but I don't want to just be a complete knock off. So any ideas? thx
-Ryan

kanzekatores

I've never done it myself, but I know some people stick to a region like Southeast Asia, Africa, or South america. The key is a lot of driftwood, plants, and debris to make it look kind of overgrown. It's cool you want to try one out. I've seen so many at public aquariums and always wanted to try.

SouthAmericanCichlids

Yeah that's what I see whenever I look it up. But I can't afford big pieces of wood. Though my mother can get rock pretty cheap.

kanzekatores

Do you have a woodsy area need you? You can always get wood and rocks from public forests for free! Just be sure to sanitize.

SouthAmericanCichlids

I live right next to a forest. Lol

SouthAmericanCichlids

Do you know any ideas on how to boil a larger piece of wood? Not just pouring it on the wood. Because I soaked a piece of wood for a month and it still released tons and tons of tannin and floated.

kanzekatores

I've come across this problem too. The driftwood I got from my lfs released tons of tannins even after boiling and boiling. What I tried (and never followed through with, but I've heard it works) is boiling, then soaking it in a tub for 24 hrs, then boiling again (30 mins). Repeating this process over and over until the water is clear. You can weigh it down with heavy rocks. For a larger piece of driftwood it's hard to fit it in a big pot to boil sometimes so you can submerge half, boil for 20 mins, then flip it over.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
amydeb
Replies
Views
Discusluv
Replies
Views
BruinAquatics
  • Poll
Replies