I Need Help.

xwarroir

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a Mickey Mouse Platy. She is pregnant. Today I bought Lee's 3-Way Breeder I bought it so that she could give birth without eating her young. But I read online that a the gestation period for a Mickey is 30 days. I think she's been pregnant for a little over a week. If I put her in this now, would that be cruel? Cause its only like two liters. Please give me some advice.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You want to wait until she's very squared and looking like she's about to burst. If you stress her out too much she may either hold her fry or abort the pregnancy, so wait until the very last minute.

In case you miss her giving birth, providing lots of floating plants like java moss will give the fry places to hide and give them a better chance of making it. The other tank mates are the bigger concern because the mother will not feel hungry for about 12 hours after she gives birth, giving the fry time to get away.

-Lisa

xwarroir

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ya, But if it's an issue of her not being around other fish, the 3-Way Breeder will be floating on top of the main tank.

justahobby

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree, wait to put her in. Gestation period is right around that. I've had several times where on the 28th day or so I put her in and nothing happens and she holds them. Very upsetting but just have to try and figure out the right time

fishyfishyfishy13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Kunsthure said:
You want to wait until she's very squared and looking like she's about to burst. If you stress her out too much she may either hold her fry or abort the pregnancy, so wait until the very last minute.

In case you miss her giving birth, providing lots of floating plants like java moss will give the fry places to hide and give them a better chance of making it. The other tank mates are the bigger concern because the mother will not feel hungry for about 12 hours after she gives birth, giving the fry time to get away.

-Lisa
sometimes it might be hard to tell when she is going to have her fry just by the shape right now I have a pregnant platy that has been looking like shes going to burst any second. You want to pay close attention to her behavior, before they start dropping they tend to have a loss of appetite and tend to stay close to the bottom of the tank

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads