I need help!

Discussion in 'Catfish' started by reallycoolsuperdude, Apr 17, 2010.

1. reallycoolsuperdudeNew MemberMember

My suncatfish, Pizzaro, has a huge.. I guess a gash oh his side. Its a red n the middle and its surrounded by a whitish color, where usually it would be black/dark gray. he doesn't come out to eat anymore, just stays in his little tree, so I hand feed him, and even then, it takes a while for him to eat it, where usually comes out right when he senses food. What should I do?? D:

2. sirdarksolFishlore LegendMember

First of all, are you sure of the species of catfish? Very few catfish are actually brackish fish (for example, neither the pleco nor the glass catfish are brackish), and there's a very similar cat to the "sun catfish" that is not brackish.

Second of all, how big is the injury?

Water parameters? PPM rating of Ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates? pH? Specific Gravity?

These questions will help us figure out what's going on.

3. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

Keeping Crabs in an aquarium with fish is risky business. If you have any type of critter with claws...your fish are at risk for injury or even death.

Ken

4. reallycoolsuperdudeNew MemberMember

Yeah i've moved the crabs into their own tank and they're doing fine. Uhh.. my catfish is about 3 1/3 inches long, and the gash is probably 1 by 1/2 inches

5. sirdarksolFishlore LegendMember

Okay, that's a pretty bad injury.

Still need the answers to these.

6. reallycoolsuperdudeNew MemberMember

Yeah I'm sure. Sun Catfish, eclipse catfish, solar catfish, theres tons of names for it.

uhh all I know is the pH is 7 I think. Neutral

7. sirdarksolFishlore LegendMember

pH isn't all that important.
    The important information are the three products I listed: ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. If you don't have a test kit, I would suggest getting one. Even if these had nothing to do with the sore, have too much of any of them will make it very hard for the fish to heal.
    In the meantime, numerous partial water changes will help it, as will the addition of VitaChem, if you can get it, and MelaFix.

8. reallycoolsuperdudeNew MemberMember

Alright thanks. From what i can see, the sore is about a fifth the size it was before, and he's been out swimming a lot more now. ^^

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice