I Need Help

1. Platy_mama23 Initiate Member

I am new to this and have been trying my hardest to do what is best for my fish.

I currently have a 28L tank that houses 1x platy.

I had visited the pet store and asked for advice on fish, tanks, etc. and was told that a platy would be suitable for me in the tank size that i have. now after reading on here i dont believe i was given the right information. I want to make sure that he is happy, i would also like to add more platys so he isnt alone in there.

Is this possible for the tank size i have ?
    How can i make sure he is happy ?
  2. Cheesearmada Member Member

For now I think you are fine. Do you have decor? And you can definitely add a few more fish.

3. Platy_mama23 Initiate Member

Yes, I have a large fake plant and a smaller plant at the moment as well as a house ornament that he hides in at times.
  4. Shadow2331 Member Member

it would be better if you add in small fishes, it will definitely provide some friends for your platy and make it happy, if you keep a fish alone it might stress out.

5. Platy_mama23 Initiate Member

Any suggestions in what fish ?
    I don't want to over croud the tank as it is only small. But also don't want him to be lonely
  6. Cheesearmada Member Member

7. Shadow2331 Member Member

It would be better if you posted a pic of your tank :)

8. Fish4Ever Member Member

Mollies or guppys! I currently have all three in my tank so cute
  9. minervalong Well Known Member Member

Your tank translates to 7 us gallons, so look for the 5 gallon stocking list on here. I'm on my phone so can't get you a link but it will show you options. You have room for quite a few things though.

Do you know about the nitrogen cycle? Is your tank cycled? You would have to add slowly so as to build up your beneficial bacteria and not overwhelm the one platy cycle you have now.

I'd look into the microrasboras, like Celestial Pearl Danio, Chili Rasbora, maybe even hatchets. You want something very small so that you can add in at least six.
  10. Platy_mama23 Initiate Member

this is the best image i have of the tank at the moment s i am not at home right now

yes i have learnt about the nitrogen cycle since starting the tank, and it is fully cycled now. thank you for the great advice, i will be looking into these fish thank you.

would it be possible or me to fit 1 of each, platy, guppy and mollie in the tank size that i have now ?

Attached Files:

11. queeqyo Initiate Member

I think a 28l is fine for a couple small fish! Platys and guppies do well together, but mollies tend to be a bit more high energy and nippy when they're kept in small numbers (<6). I agree with the comment above, maybe get a small school of celestial pearl danios, or maybe ember tetras? You could also keep some shrimp and/or snails in there!
  12. Betrayer Well Known Member Member

No, it would not be possible. Unfortunately, your tank isn't big enough to provide an appropriate home for those three fish together. Some of the advice you are receiving is inaccurate. I'm wondering if posters are missing the fact the your tank is approximately 8 gallons? It is generally agreed that mollies require a minimum of 20 gallons, and many people would suggest 29 gallons.

You could possibly make something work with smaller livebearers such as guppies or endlers livebearers. @BeanFish is very knowledgable about livebearers. Maybe he can offer some advice?
  13. minervalong Well Known Member Member

I agree with EJ, mollies require much more room and if you were looking at guppies, I'd go with endlers instead as they are a bit smaller. What you have is a nano tank, so nano size fish are gonna be the answer.

Don't forget your bottom either, shrimp and snails can liven it up and help clean up detritus for you. Shrimp have a very small bioload so would be good. I am not up on the bioload of snails, from what I understand some can be poop machines.
  14. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Endlers could work. Heterandria formosa would be a great fit for the tank size.
  15. Platy_mama23 Initiate Member

I've never even heard of Heterandria formosa, but they look like they could suit nicely, thanks

I've heard that it's common that platys can bully and sometimes even eat the shrimp, is this information incorrect ? Or is this just the case sometimes. But thank you for your advice. I will definitely be doing my research on nano fish (something I should have done before getting my platy)

I thought as much. Thanknyou for your good advice!
  16. minervalong Well Known Member Member

Dunno about platys and shrimp, never have kept them together, but then again, I am in the research phase myself. I ended up with an orphan tank for various reasons, not optimal but at least the fish seem to be doing ok until I get the 30g set up.
    Fish keeping used to be less researched and have less opportunity for sharing of info. So, now we can provide the best for our fishy friends. Although I kept tanks as a kid, and bettas almost constantly, this is a whole new world for me.
    With a nano tank, you could have a great aquascape with flashes of color popping all around. Just decide what kind of fishy world you like to slip into and go for it.
  17. Fish4Ever Member Member

Ya I would get all three female though as males are meaner and if you have a mix its possible for them to breed together. Platy plus mollies is most likely.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app
  18. Shadow2331 Member Member

you can add in one more platy of the opposite sex, maybe couple of pink zebras or endlers guppy will also be a great addition :)
  19. Betrayer Well Known Member Member

A tank this size is a little too small for platies. Also, a male and female will produce lots of fry.