I need help!

1. Brisilda Kodra Well Known Member Member

[​IMG]

This is nitrates test and it's high during cycling might I add I have zero nitrites plz explain this to me

2. Airth Member Member

where are your ammonia and pH sitting at?

3. Brisilda Kodra Well Known Member Member

[​IMG]

Ok ammonia in green

[​IMG]

Ammonia much greener now

[​IMG]

4. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

That's okay! Sometimes you don't see the nitrites (they can get converted to nitrates quickly!). Your nitrates aren't very high, especially for a fishless cycle. Keep going! Once your ammonia is completely converted to nitrates within 24 hours of adding it, you're good to do a large water change and add your betta.

5. Brisilda Kodra Well Known Member Member

So I wait for ammonia to drop and then see nitrates go higher then add fish?

6. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Basically. Ignore nitrates for now - as long as they're getting higher, that's good. Wait for ammonia and nitrites to drop to zero within 24 hours of dosing ammonia. After your ammonia and nitrites test zero for a few days (even though you're adding ammonia daily), you can do a large water change to get nitrates below 20 ppm and then add your betta.

7. Brisilda Kodra Well Known Member Member

So you are saying don't dose anymore ammonia wait for it to drop?

8. Airth Member Member

In agreement with TexasDomer. Your cycle's doing fine. =) Just wanted to be sure you were still getting readings on ammonia too.

9. Brisilda Kodra Well Known Member Member

Glad it's doing fine just as confused if ammonia drops do I add anymore?

10. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Wait for it to drop to 0.25 ppm or 0, and within 24 hours add another 1 ppm of ammonia. The next day test. If its 0.25 ppm or 0, repeat.

Since it's for a betta, I don't think you need to dose more than 1 ppm of ammonia daily.

11. Brisilda Kodra Well Known Member Member

But what will that do since I don't have nitrites? When do I stop dosing ammonia?

12. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You don't have nitrites because your bacterial colony is large enough to convert them all to nitrates already.

You'll keep dosing ammonia until your tank is fully cycled and you add your betta.

13. Brisilda Kodra Well Known Member Member

Ok I understand but since I don't have any nitrites how will I know when it's cycled?

14. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

When you have zero ammonia within 24 hours of adding ammonia to the tank.

15. Brisilda Kodra Well Known Member Member

Ah ok then got it

16. nwayne567 Initiate Member

First ammonia will be high, then after a while ammonia will start to lower and then you'll get nitrite, then after ammonia and nitrite lower then you'll get nitrate, and at the end your nitrate will never really be at 0.

17. Brisilda Kodra Well Known Member Member

As you see I have nitrates that's what this was all about

18. Brisilda Kodra Well Known Member Member

[​IMG]

Back from vacation here are the results

You would think ammonia got lowered but nope more higher now