1. Amazon Prime Day!
    Attention Amazon Prime Members: Not to miss deals on lots of products for 36 hours starting July 15!
    Go here: Amazon Prime Day Deals
    Dismiss Notice

I Need Help With Betta Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Jodster223, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Jodster223New MemberMember

In the last two weeks I lost two bettas to tumors. My female Kara had a tumor and it burst. She didn't survive.
    Pegasus had tumor in his gills. Just didn't survive. Now Bubbles has a huge white lump wasn't there last week. Tried to see if it was egg bound but Orion didn't get her to produce eggs. I tried Kanaplex and Metroplex and gave others if they don't work. I just don't want to lose another one. I am giving 3 photos of Bubbles and 1 of Kara so you can see how big she got. Bubbles fins look like that because she was part of a sorority and got nipped and bullied. Infection set in and her fins ate growing back.
    Please help.

2. Jodster223New MemberMember

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Let's actually have the photos
    [​IMG]

3. Rick boseValued MemberMember

How much do you feed him?
    Looks like it is swim bladder disorder.
    Bloating in stomach areas of betta can be because of overfeeding, lack of fibres in food and dry food.

If that's the case, the best thing u can do is to fast him for 2-3 days.
    Lower the water level.

4. AlpineTheBettaValued MemberMember

These problems look like they are really advanced. Lump may be tumor ( could be benign, could be pus filled). Some people have had success using strong antibiotics such as Enrofloxacin or Kanamycin ( note effective dosage for Kanamycin is 2-30 times published dosage on the box according to a veterinary textbook) yes, you read it correctly, 30 times. If I were you I would try Thomaslab levofloxacin or Aquatronics Naladin. Watch your fish,quinolones are strong and when they act really groggy you need to get the out into clean water.

Advance fin rot will require antibiotics cocktail. But since we don't want to interfere with what we are using to fix the white tumor, i would swab with merbromin ( there is a product called aquatronics wound control) and neosporin ( use the exact product as pictured, wrong formulation can be caustic and I have given one of my bettas chemical fin burn using the cream formula. You want nothing but petrolatum as inactive ingredient

Making improvement in husbandry would go a long way. Stress will lead to diseases, and in a sorority it is always stressful because bettas are territorial. The betta at the bottom of the pecking order is always stressed out , afraid of getting beaten up and that by itself is going to make the fish sick. I have heard about more heartbreak than happiness when it comes to having sororities. For some it works out -- until it does not.

For something this serious I strongly recommend taking your fish to an aquatic vet. It may require really strong antibiotics injection. If you can find a good vet this will give the betta the best chance at survival

Attached Files:

5. Jodster223New MemberMember

Ok. Bubbles has passed. I've been keeping an eye on her and she started jerking around her tank. Her lump was even bigger and looked like it was about to burst. I took her out of her tank to get Clove oil and she passed in the container just as the tumor broke through a little. I will be burying her in plant soil. It just grew so fast. Now, none of my other betta fish nor any of my other types of fish have any such issues. I pray it stays that way.
    I had already separated the sorority.
    Here's a photo to show how much bigger it got
    [​IMG]
    SIP sweet Bubbles.

6. AlpineTheBettaValued MemberMember

Hi there,

So so sorry for your loss.

Just want to clarify, you are not burying her under the substrate in the tank right? Just want to make sure to advise you don't do that, because the pathogen that killed her will linger in the tank and potentially infect other inhabitants if you do that.