Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

I Need Help With A Zebra Nerite!!

Discussion in 'Snails' started by PheonixKingZ, Apr 22, 2019.

1. PheonixKingZWell Known MemberMember

Hi! So a couple of days ago, I got a Zebra Nerite snail, from my LFS, and I had a couple of questions:

What do I feed him?

If I feed him blanched veggies, how will he/she, know that it’s food?

Can he escape my tank? (picture down below, of top of tank, I am concerned, that he will slime his way out, and escape and die somewhere!)

Can he go in an un-cycled tank, to get rid of algae? (if not, what is a SUPER hardy snail/shrimp, that could take care of that algae, in a 2.5 gal. Un-cycled tank?)

Thanks in advance, all who help me!!:)

Tagged people: @Feohw @Smalltownfishfriend @Thedudeiam94 @Fanatic @Addie42 @CaptainAquatics .

Feel free to respond, even if you aren’t tagged!! Thanks in advance!!:)

Attached Files:

2. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

1.) No, I've never been able to get them to eat anything other than biofilm, they need an established tank
    2.) Yes, they come from brackish areas and attempt to climb out of the water to replicate the tides. They will get out.
    3.) NO. Invertebrates are much more sensitive to ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate than fish, there are not any shrimp or snails hardy enough to survive the cycling process.

3. PheonixKingZWell Known MemberMember

Really? Because @Feohw recommend that I use cucumbers, zucchini, etc. Is my hero wrong.....? How do you suggest I block up those holes, in the lid?:)

4. Addie42Well Known MemberMember

Ya I don’t really have much to say, I’ve only ever bought 1 nerite and I think I accidentally killed it from taking it outta the water. You could try throwing in veggies for it, my ramshorns love carrots

5. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

I just haven't had mine eat anything else, never interested in my vegetables.
    You can use about anything, sometimes I'll just lay aquascaping tweezers across holes to block them.

6. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

As long as the veggies just rest on the bottom for him to come across and munch on it might work. They are escape artists, but only if they have a reason to want out of the tank i.e. bad water parameters, or they want to breed.

7. PheonixKingZWell Known MemberMember

Ok, thanks!! Another question, do any of you guys have Zebra Danios? They are so pretty......and also very annoying!! I tried to put a little piece of duck weed, into his tank today, and he tried to eat it!! Lol, he tries to eat everything, like when I’m vacuuming the gravel, he even eaten his own poop!!:vomit::vomit: how do I stop this?

8. FeohwWell Known MemberMember

We've talked about this so many times already! The algae problem is as a result of the cycle and will solve itself in time. Some people add pond snails to cycling tanks - but if they survive (which most dont) they will breed a lot and cause more problems - I don't advise this at all. Since the algae problem will take care of itself and your tank will eventually be cycled, there's really no point in putting them through that. Just clean the algae yourself for the time being, cycle the tank and then see about getting a snail for it. As I've said before - it doesn't all have to be instantaneous. It takes time. Your tank has been cycling for a while already - be patient. In time it will improve.
    The nerite I have now took a while to eat veggies. Ones I've had in the past refused to. Not all eat them, not all don't eat them.

Another way to feed them is to get round rocks in a container of water on a window sill. They will grow algae on them. Move one rock to the tank, when the algae is gone move it back to the container and get a new rock.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  9. 86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

My experience with nerites is they eat micro film and algae. I had 2 in a 5 gal shrimp tank that would constantly escape. I moved everything into a 15 and they havnt tried to escape since I put them in. I have nerites in all my tanks except the 90. Clown loaches eat them :(.
    I think you’ve been advised a few times not to put the nerite in an uncycled tank. But when you think about it it would be like doing a fish in cycle. So if you want to put him in. Change 50% the water daily.
    Question for you. Did you buy the betta already? Or are you planning to buy it?

10. PheonixKingZWell Known MemberMember

I’ve already ordered it, from my LFS, no returns, the shipment had been delayed for over 3 WEEKS!! It is supposed to get here on Thursday!!:) Thanks you @Feohw, you are to right, I just need to be patient. :)

11. FeohwWell Known MemberMember

I'd say continue to cycle the tank for now, then act as if it's a fish in cycle when you get the betta. Hopefully you have a nice colony of bacteria forming now.

12. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

I have some, haven't seen what you're talking about though so I can't really help

13. PheonixKingZWell Known MemberMember

Lol, these situations are really funny, I’m thinking now “Great, I’m the only guy in the world, with a ZD like this, and no one can relate to me!!” Lol!!:) I really am kicking my self, for...

1. Ordering the betta
    2. Not getting a test kit before ordering the betta
    3. Not getting seachm prime
    4. And having a ZD, in a tiny, 1.5 gallons cube!!
    I really am awful at fish-keeping, I should put in my profile “No experience whatsoever” :(:(:(

14. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

It's probably acting weird because it doesn't have a school and is in a very small, cramped space

15. PheonixKingZWell Known MemberMember

I so hate myself. :(

16. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Dude. That's so not the point; the point isn't a pity party for yourself, the point is that this is a mistake that is easily fixed. Feeling bad doesn't help your fish at all, channel those emotions into something positive.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  17. PheonixKingZWell Known MemberMember

18. CaptainAquaticsWell Known MemberMember

Hi! Looks like I’m a little late to the thread, however here is my input:
    1. I feed mine algae wafers made for plecos and they eat it every time. Mine also eat flakes, or really anything I put in the tank
    2. They will escape, and I plug the holes in my tank by balling up wrapping plastic (most often used for wrapping pizza or something), and plunging the holes
    3. They should have a cycled tank, however keep water parameters somewhat stable and I think you will be ok

That is my experiance :)
    Hope it helps

19. PheonixKingZWell Known MemberMember

Thank you @CaptainAquatics!! Are you saying if my water parameters are ok, then I’ll be able to put the snail in there? I probably won’t any way, just to be safe, maybe after I do the fish in cycle!!:)

20. CaptainAquaticsWell Known MemberMember

After the cycle go ahead :)