I need help with a reverse ID... looking for Bolbitis heteroclita

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by kidster9700, Jul 28, 2015.

1. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

Okay, so I want Bolbitis heteroclita for a terrarium I have set up, and found out it is commonly sold as an aquatic fern! I wanted help finding out if any of the assorted ferns in my tank are "Bolbitis heteroclita" (or if you know a lot about ferns, let me know if any of them can be kept out of water!)
    I'll post pics in a sec.

2. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438114898.767614.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438114908.105477.jpg those are in two different tanks but appear to be the same species of fern.
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438114931.383774.jpg Here's another one
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438114954.611515.jpg I actually have two of these, but the other is smaller and not growing as nicely.
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438114989.628461.jpg this may be the same type of fern as the second one pictured (that's out of water)
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438115018.508661.jpg I don't even know if this one is a fern at all
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438115038.851812.jpg and that's a confirmed Java fern that is doing terribly because I accidentally covered the rhizome.

If you want to go ahead and ID any of these that would be cool, too. They were all sold as something like "tropical fern" or "Asian water fern" or just "assorted fern" and I think all but the Java fern were bought from the little tubes at Petco. Not from a tank. Minus the one that's attached to the coconut log.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

(If a mod wants to alter the thread title to something along the line of ID my ferns, that's fine, just keep the bolbitis in the title please)

4. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Bump! Any help is appreciated :) even if you just want to tag someone who might know.

5. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

The first three pictures look the same as the Bolbitis heteroclita I bought last year. It did not do well in my tanks, I think partly because it was probably grown emersed. The fourth image is Windelov Java Fern, a variant with the leaves feathered on the end.

Fifth image I can't see very clearly. Sixth is something I've not seen before; could be an uncommon Anubias. Last image has a Java Fern to the left, I think.

6. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Well the first three are growing really well so I doubt they're the kind that needs to be not immersed

7. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Also I forgot I had the third one out of the tank and the whole thing died in like an hour. Whoops.

I meant to post that as an edit not a quote... Stupid phone

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice