I need help understanding lighting

kellerjake2004

So I've tried to do some research of my own but I couldn't make sense of the articles filled with tons of technical terms. The MingDak "Aquarium Full Spectrum Light" I ordered arrived today and works great. On this light there is a switch that changes the combination of LEDs that are on. The first setting is all LEDs are on (Red, White, Blue), the second setting consists of The white And red lights (which displays at more of a green color), and the third setting is just the blue lights. My question is, What are the different colors for? Do they grow plants better or are they just there to mimic different types of sunlight? I'd appreciate any answers, thank you!

Frank the Fish guy

The colors are for the way it makes your tank look. Different colors highlight different things. The colored lights are also not good for algae growth so you can keep the darker colors on to see your fish without growing algae. Also colors are for mood lighting like moonlight effect. I keep blind cave fish and I keep the light on only the dark blue. Zero algae, but I can see my fish. Some corals glow under blue light.

If you want to grow plants use the maximum full spectrum setting only. Adjust the time to control algae and grow plants, but keep the light on max for plant growth.

Some folks simulate daylight, dusk, moonlight, etc using these lights. It's a visual effect but some say that the fish like it that way too! Abrupt changes in light certainly stress fish out for sure.

Upvote 0

kellerjake2004

Thank you so much for the information! I plan on planting the tank so is 12 hours good?

Upvote 0

RedOnion

Thank you so much for the information! I plan on planting the tank so is 12 hours good?
You may want to start off a little less, so you dont get algae. Try 8 hours.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
PAcanis
  • Question
Replies
Views
-Mak-
  • Question
Replies
Views