I need help to ID this hitch hiker

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by matsungit, Jan 11, 2013.

1. matsungitWell Known MemberMember

I got this guy from a batch of 60 ghost shrimps and he was no bigger than the largest shrimp. Now that he's getting a little bigger (about 2" long) maybe he can be ID'd. Can anyone help me ID this fish? He's a carnivore and moves like a skink lizard and uses his pectoral fins like feet. Very brave and outgoing he joins the feeding frenzy with the big guys.

DSC00059 Temp.JPG
    DSC00060.jpg

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  2. EthanWell Known MemberMember

whatever he is he is cool

3. matsungitWell Known MemberMember

Thanks! I think I got lucky. He ended up in my tank last month and I really like him now. I'm curious if he's going to stay small.

4. chevyguy8893Well Known MemberMember

That is an interesting hitch hiker to get with shrimp. It looks like a goby, but no idea as to a specific species.

5. matsungitWell Known MemberMember

Yeah that's my best guess too.

6. Orion5Well Known MemberMember

Can't wait to find out what he is! Do you have any more pictures?

7. matsungitWell Known MemberMember

I got only 2 shots of him today on my camera phone. He doesn't stay out in the open too long. I still don't know where he is hiding or sleeping. He doesn't seem to have a fixed hiding spot. I'll keep my phone close to the tank in case he's roaming about again. I'll post some more pics if I catch him.

8. bryce1217Valued MemberMember

i opened a fresh can of freeze dried shrimp yesterday and found a minnow looking like creature similar to this one towards the bottom of the can (dead of course). they are apparrantly very commonly mistaken for shrimp then. lol

9. Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

It's a swamp darter :;th Native to Florida (where ghost shrimp are caught, which are also native to florida). Very fun little guys. I have a collection going from the lfs. They always give them to me :)

When they settle in, they turn a gorgeous emerald green and get 6 or 8 saddles.

10. monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

I want one! Tis is like the 2nd time I have heard of them being found with ghost shrimp... are you able to buy them or are they like protected?

11. matsungitWell Known MemberMember

Oh WOW! I searched for swamp darter and bingo there they are! Thanks! I guess they're pretty common huh. But I love em anyway. I think I saw one in one of my LFS tanks and I'll offer to buy it. I at least want two now! What's your experience with them? Forgive me but what's a saddle?

According to wiki, they only get to about 2 inches (50mm) and live for only a year and rarely two in the wild. They are neither territorial nor aggressive. They are hardy freshwater fish that can tolerate a wide range of water parameters. They are not endangered or protected because of their abundance and hardiness.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  12. MuseyWell Known MemberMember

Very cool! Do you know if they are social? If you get more will they shoal together?

13. matsungitWell Known MemberMember

From what I've read, they're perfectly fine with their own kind and other species but will not school.

14. scotty bWell Known MemberMember

i to have gotten one of these one of my faves, i love the way they swim lol

15. Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

There's not much on them, for some reason, though a lot of people have them. Weird sort of situation...

Anyways, they don't seem to mind being a lone, or in groups. When I added my second one, i did see some squabbling. Not sure what that was about. Saddles are dark, usually black oval shaped markings that are folded in half over the back. Think German Shepherd or a good majority of terriers :;th my biggest two are 3-4 inhes long.

16. matsungitWell Known MemberMember

Thanks for the explanation! I'm wondering why too that the trade hasn't taken advantage of them. They're hardy, easy to keep and peaceful. And they only live for a short while sort of like hamsters (not sure in aquaria). Good beginner fish. They can tolerate various water parameters and not picky with tank size. It can be shallow or deep. Wow 3-4 inches are big. I guess they can get bigger in aquaria. Maybe live longer too. How long do yours live? Have you tried breeding them?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  17. Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

I've only had them a few months, so I'm not sure.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice