I need help stocking my new tank

RKennedy923

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a 20 gallon tank with a heater and a filter ready to go. It is already cycled and I am ready to stock it as soon as possible. I'm open to any suggestions. Please let me know how many of each fish you suggest can go in the tank, along with any others. Thanks in advance.

What I'm thinking of putting in after all of the replies I got.

8 neon tetras
1 dwarf gouramis
2 guppies
6 cories
And maybe a few others (please let me know what else could work with these or if nothing else could work here, let me know.)
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

kidster9700

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
do you want to have any inverts? like snails or shrimp?
also, i'm going to say you should get cories! they're lovely
is this a 20H or 20L?

RKennedy923

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well I don't really want any live bearers,
I'm interested in something like neon tetras, but I also want a variety of some other things, thanks in advance.

kidster9700

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
what about a school of neons and then a dwarf gourami? that might be nice to look at.

ClearEyes

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
A school of 6-10 neon tetras would work fine in that tank. Or most other types of tetras. I think in another thread, I saw that Congos are the only ones that won't work. Rummy nose, cardinal, black neon, etc. are all okay If you're worried about fry with live-bearers, it's not that hard to mitigate sexing with them.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You could get a dwarf gourami or a few peacock gudgeon? Or a small school of middle-top fish, like dwarf rasboras, tetras, platies, or guppies.

delta5

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Neon tetras, cories, and 1 dwarf gourami. Start with the Neon tetras and DG. Let the tank age, mature and then add the cories.

Tiny goatfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Honey gouramis, CORYS, bristlenose pleco, I'm going to do khuli loaches In my 20 gallon, dwarf gourami, I love cherry barbs to. Good luck stocking it, deciding what fish to get is the second funest part!!!

(I don't think " funest" is a word but whatever)

RKennedy923

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok thanks, I won't be stocking it for a few more days so I'm still open to all of the ideas I can get.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom