Question I Need help Stocking A 55 gallon tank, do's and don'ts

KAitlynn Robi

Active Member
Member
Messages
60
Reaction score
23
Location
Moody Alabama
Experience
3 years
Ok, so I have a 55 gallon tank that I'm currently cycling. I don't want to get any fish or plants until the covid-19 stuff is over because my local pet store is very low on filters and food, so I don't want to risk it. I was looking at stocking options and I want a community tank. My ideals are Kuhalli loaches, angelfish, and guppies, but I'm like 99.99% sure that would go badly. If it is possible that would be great but I really don't think it is. I would like stocking suggestions for the tank that include at least one of these fish, I'm fully aware they're all schooling fish. Lastly, plants. I would like live plants and have taken care of them before. With your suggested fish, what plants would be best for these fish if any? If there are no ideal plants then why and what aquarium setup would be ideal for these fish.


Please note: I have actually done research online, and usually it's about a 50/50 shot at right or wrong. I much prefer getting information from people who know what they're doing, because usually the advice on here is 99.99% correct.
 

JettsPapa

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,486
Reaction score
4,011
Location
Grimes County, Texas
Experience
Just started
You could build a nice tank around an angelfish. I've never kept loaches, so can't address them, but I'm a big cory catfish fan, so that's another option for the bottom of the tank.

Have you considered a school of rainbowfish? I have 12 turquoise rainbowfish in my 65 and really like them.
 

NickGNz

Active Member
Member
Messages
150
Reaction score
131
Location
New Zealand
Experience
More than 10 years
Angelfish and guppies actually work well together if you don’t want a tank full of guppy fry.
I’ve always found adding angels last to a community set up works best as the smaller fish already there won’t be viewed as food.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #4
OP
KAitlynn Robi

KAitlynn Robi

Active Member
Member
Messages
60
Reaction score
23
Location
Moody Alabama
Experience
3 years
NickGNz said:
Angelfish and guppies actually work well together if you don’t want a tank full of guppy fry.
I’ve always found adding angels last to a community set up works best as the smaller fish already there won’t be viewed as food.
Ok that actually makes me feel better, do you know anything about the loaches?
 

NickGNz

Active Member
Member
Messages
150
Reaction score
131
Location
New Zealand
Experience
More than 10 years
Never kept Kuhlis but I’m sure they would be fine with Angels. Someone else should confirm that. You could certainly add more than just Angels, Guppy’s, and Kuhlis in a 55g too.
 

Wrench

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,442
Reaction score
1,275
Location
San Diego California
Experience
2 years
KAitlynn Robi said:
Ok, so I have a 55 gallon tank that I'm currently cycling. I don't want to get any fish or plants until the covid-19 stuff is over because my local pet store is very low on filters and food, so I don't want to risk it. I was looking at stocking options and I want a community tank. My ideals are Kuhalli loaches, angelfish, and guppies, but I'm like 99.99% sure that would go badly. If it is possible that would be great but I really don't think it is. I would like stocking suggestions for the tank that include at least one of these fish, I'm fully aware they're all schooling fish. Lastly, plants. I would like live plants and have taken care of them before. With your suggested fish, what plants would be best for these fish if any? If there are no ideal plants then why and what aquarium setup would be ideal for these fish.


Please note: I have actually done research online, and usually it's about a 50/50 shot at right or wrong. I much prefer getting information from people who know what they're doing, because usually the advice on here is 99.99% correct.
I have a dojo loach. He is cool and they get to be about a foot long, maybe 3 or 4 of those and some bushy wide based plants for them to hide under?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7
OP
KAitlynn Robi

KAitlynn Robi

Active Member
Member
Messages
60
Reaction score
23
Location
Moody Alabama
Experience
3 years
Wrench said:
I have a dojo loach. He is cool and they get to be about a foot long, maybe 3 or 4 of those and some bushy wide based plants for them to hide under?
Ok, but what about tank mates? Are they good with other species or no?

NickGNz said:
Never kept Kuhlis but I’m sure they would be fine with Angels. Someone else should confirm that. You could certainly add more than just Angels, Guppy’s, and Kuhlis in a 55g too.
Ok, thanks! If you have other suggestions about stocking I would love to hear them
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8
OP
KAitlynn Robi

KAitlynn Robi

Active Member
Member
Messages
60
Reaction score
23
Location
Moody Alabama
Experience
3 years
I need advice on stocking my 55 gallon tank,

my current plan is

2 angel fish
4 kuhli loaches
and 10 guppies

as well as some plants like java ferns

I'm not to sure this group is compatible though, and I would like to check in with the experts. My tank is already cycled, and completely set up with a 75 watt strip light, a 65 gallon per hour filter, a thermometer that I can adjust, and a flow machine for the fish that like currents. I just would appreciate some advice.
 

RyanC14

Well Known
Member
Messages
688
Reaction score
495
Location
Minnesota
Experience
1 year
You could up the school of kuhlis to at least 15. Are you planning on keeping both male and female guppies or just one sex?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11
OP
KAitlynn Robi

KAitlynn Robi

Active Member
Member
Messages
60
Reaction score
23
Location
Moody Alabama
Experience
3 years
RyanC14 said:
You could up the school of kuhlis to at least 15. Are you planning on keeping both male and female guppies or just one sex?
I was planning on only keeping guys. I know they tend to breed prolifically.

wait, so constant reproduction isn't necessarily a bad thing in this tank setup? Like the tank and it's inhabitants could handle it
 

JettsPapa

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,486
Reaction score
4,011
Location
Grimes County, Texas
Experience
Just started
KAitlynn Robi said:
I was planning on only keeping guys. I know they tend to breed prolifically.

wait, so constant reproduction isn't necessarily a bad thing in this tank setup? Like the tank and it's inhabitants could handle it
I suspect the angelfish would keep the guppy population under control.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
257
Guests online
3,646
Total visitors
3,903

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom