I Need Help Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phish24/7

Reaction score
So I came home today after work and started my usual rounds of feeding, cleaning, dosing, ect and I got to my 125 catfish tank and I was horrified to see my adult Lima shovelnose catfish had a huge wound about 1 1/2 inches long and 1 inch long it's not very deep thank the aquarium gods.

I tried diagnosing it myself to no avail. I think it's either a heater burn or my calico shark also called harlequin shark attacked him because I have had issues with him and other tankmates before just never this bad.

I started a 20% water change and have removed the calico for now and put him in a empty tank as a precaution. I'm going to add some aquarium salt after the water change. I also swabbed the affected area with some povidone iodine(betadine) and while I have him out of the water I noticed that his skin was kinda faded in a blotchy type pattern around the wound.

So I need to know what caused this horrible incident and how can I prevent it. What else can I do to save this fish?
20180424_210957.jpg

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hubby asks if it didn’t get caught on something? Says it looks torn?

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's quite possible that he ran into something and got a chunk torn off. I would do bigger water changes to promote healthy healing. Pristine water = better healing and better health.

Phish24/7

Reaction score
It's quite possible that he ran into something and got a chunk torn off. I would do bigger water changes to promote healthy healing. Pristine water = better healing and better health.
Yeah I think your right, he does get starteled quite easily. Been do 20% changes once a day and he doesn't seem to be acting abnormal.

yukondog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Fish can be pretty resilient, I've caught fish that have been hit by a shark that healed and lived another day only to wind up in a fish fry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom