i need help, please?

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No I am afraid not. You see goldfish and Koi are coldwater fish and the others are all Tropical Fish and need heated and filtered water and would not do well with the coldwater fish. Plus goldfish take a lot of room. The general rule is 20 gallons for the first fish and 10 gallons for each additional fish. They are also quite dirty fish and produce a lot of waste and the Tropical fish would not do well in water that contains the level of waste products they put out. You need two tanks at the minimum one for the coldwater fish (goldfish and koi) and the other for the Tropical fish (silver dollar and pleco). These will both have to be quite large tanks as the goldfish and koi grow to be quite big and so does the pleco. The betta will need a tank of his own as he would not go well with any of the fish listed. They generally need a quiet tank with a few small peaceful fish like cories or otos to keep them company and do not do well in a community tank. The other fish either become aggressive towards them or they become the aggressor.

I hope this has been helpful.

Rose

arbiter1993

Reaction score
chickadee said:
No I am afraid not. You see goldfish and Koi are coldwater fish and the others are all Tropical Fish and need heated and filtered water and would not do well with the coldwater fish. Plus goldfish take a lot of room. The general rule is 20 gallons for the first fish and 10 gallons for each additional fish. They are also quite dirty fish and produce a lot of waste and the Tropical fish would not do well in water that contains the level of waste products they put out. You need two tanks at the minimum one for the coldwater fish (goldfish and koi) and the other for the Tropical fish (silver dollar and pleco). These will both have to be quite large tanks as the goldfish and koi grow to be quite big and so does the pleco. The betta will need a tank of his own as he would not go well with any of the fish listed. They generally need a quiet tank with a few small peaceful fish like cories or otos to keep them company and do not do well in a community tank. The other fish either become aggressive towards them or they become the aggressor.

I hope this has been helpful.

Rose

i've had these fish together for a while now and they've never shown any problems for me. i understand that the betta will not do well but is it completely necessary to take the koi and goldfish out?

thanks for helping me by the way.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It is not a temperment problem you will have but eventually a disease problem, I am afraid. There are coldwater diseases that attack Tropical fishes and they will be more prone to attack in the water that is heavily waste loaded by a heavy waste producer like goldfish. Ich and finrot and velvet can attack Tropical Fish in tanks of this type and take the fish out in a very short time. While the coldwater fish may not contract them as easily, I cannot guarantee that they are completely immune.

In any case a 55 gallon tank is not nearly big enough for the load you have in there.

I also failed to notice the addition of gouramis to the list. Gouramis are related to Bettas and the two should never be mixed as they would fight to the death as if you had placed two bettas in the same tank.

You failed to state whether the tank is heated and filtered. If it is then the Tropical fish will probably do okay, but then the goldfish and the koi are soon going to be unhappy. They can handle filtered water but do not care for heated water. They are just two different classes of fish and you can decide to leave them together but sooner or later one or the other type is going to become ill and probably need to be moved to survive.

I do hope this is helpful, I really am not trying to be hardnosed but there isn't much sense in giving you wrong information.

Rose

arbiter1993

Reaction score
thanks for helping. i would just say that the tank is filtered and it does have a heater that keeps it at about 72 degrees i think. i am planning to try and buy a bigger tank once i have the money so when i do i will leave the goldfish and koi and gouramis in the 55. and move everyone else to the bigger tank for now i can move them to the 20 gal. tank i have if that sounds big enough.

again thanks for the help

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Just keep an eye on size and stress; some goldfish don't grow that big. I'm sure you're doing a fine job looking after your fish. The betta probably would be happier (if you do get one) in say a 5-10 gallon tank with 3-4 little scavengers like otos or corydoras with him or her.

arbiter1993

Reaction score
poefox said:
Just keep an eye on size and stress; some goldfish don't grow that big. I'm sure you're doing a fine job looking after your fish. The betta probably would be happier (if you do get one) in say a 5-10 gallon tank with 3-4 little scavengers like otos or corydoras with him or her.
well thanks for the help, my goldfish never grew bigger than what they are currently are so like you said i'll just keep an eye on them and as for the betta i'll go ahead and do that

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Just a hint. Bettas need a temperature of 78 - 80 degrees and 80 is better. They will love you for the tank like you are considering and are very personable fish and can get to be very communicative with their humans. Look forward for a great experience.

Rose

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom