I need help on this Pleco's Identification

Oeuf1130

So last night I went to my LFS and they labeled this guy as a bristolnose, I've been researching this fish and couldn't find out it's identiy, I know it could be a Hypantricus, but still wasn't sure which one
I also assumed this is a clown pleco , but most clown pleco i saw doesn't have this bright stripe pattern

Then I looked at L333 and L340 and they looked relatively the same. Here's the picture of the fish I bought

Attachments

• 20211120_185336.jpg
    20211120_185336.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 20211120_185336.jpg
    20211120_185336.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 43

Marlene327

Mine has color like that but doesn't seem so bright. Lights are out in the tank, can't go take another look, but he'd be in his cave anyway! Not a bristlenose that I've ever seen.

Upvote 0

Oeuf1130

Yea that's my other concern was his outgoing behavior

Upvote 0

Marlene327

Clowns like to hide when lights are on, they're more nocturnal, while a BN will go along the sides without a problem any time of the day.

Upvote 0

Oeuf1130

So it's look like a clown Pleco but behave similar to a BN ...

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

Kind of reminds me of a ranger(?) pleco, don't know the number or the false zebra pleco, or columbian pleco(L129)

Upvote 0

BradleyH2O

Check out Candy Striped Pleco

Upvote 0

FishDin

while a BN will go along the sides without a problem any time of the day.
I don't believe that is a universal trait. Some of us go days or weeks without seeing our BN, especially when mature. I've kept them for 10 years and find them to be reclusive and nocturnal. When young, they are all over the place, but when mine get older they mostly spend the day in their caves and come out just as I'm going to bed.

It's concerning that the fish store can't tell it's not a BN.

Upvote 0

Marlene327

I don't believe that is a universal trait. Some of us go days or weeks without seeing our BN, especially when mature. I've kept them for 10 years and find them to be reclusive and nocturnal. When young, they are all over the place, but when mine get older they mostly spend the day in their caves and come out just as I'm going to bed.

It's concerning that the fish store can't tell it's not a BN.
You're so right about the store not knowing, that's a shame. I'm afraid my knowledge of BN's is very limited to young ones, which I was fascinated to watch all over the place. I tried 4, at different times, in my 40 gallon a couple years ago and they all died off within weeks. Healthy one day, gone the next. Never knew what happened or why, but the lfs said sometimes some things just don't do well in some tanks. Hmm okay, another great answer. My clown is thriving there - he was in another tank when I was trying the BN. I've changed the type of water I use now, straight from our well instead of the conditioner, so maybe one day I'll try another one. Much has changed in that tank in 2 years!

Upvote 0

Mcasella

Either an L270 or L129 - but honestly a clearer picture would be needed to get an accurate id. If you can get profile shots, overhead shots, and a mouth/underside shot that would give everyone the best chance to id it. With the dorsal up if possible.

Upvote 0

Oeuf1130

Either an L270 or L129 - but honestly a clearer picture would be needed to get an accurate id. If you can get profile shots, overhead shots, and a mouth/underside shot that would give everyone the best chance to id it. With the dorsal up if possible.
It's been a few day and I barely got part of of It's underside , because it's began to hide more often

Attachments

• 20211125_165522.jpg
    20211125_165522.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 16
Upvote 0

Mcasella

It's been a few day and I barely got part of of It's underside , because it's began to hide more often
It definitely doesn't look to be in good shape gut wise. I would worm it if possible. Have you seen it eating?

Upvote 0

DoubleDutch

It definitely doesn't look to be in good shape gut wise. I would worm it if possible. Have you seen it eating?
And what is it fed ?

Upvote 0

Oeuf1130

no i don't know what's it's diet yet
And what is it fed ?
i gave it fluval bug bites , hikari wafer , didn't see it ate
right now it's midnight so I drop a couple Hikari sinking pellet for catfish(contain spirulina, silk worm and krill) in the feeding log to see if its eat or not

Upvote 0

DoubleDutch

Personally I'd start with living / frozen food and fresh vegs.

A lot of (maybe wildcaught) fish won't accept / don't recognise pellets aso as food the first time. They need getting used to it slow.

Upvote 0

Oeuf1130

I'll try boiled a piece of carrot and slip it in to see if it eat
Personally I'd start with living / frozen food and fresh vegs.

A lot of (maybe wildcaught) fish won't accept / don't recognise pellets aso as food the first time. They need getting used to it slow.
I'll try boiled a piece of carrot and slip it in to see if it eat
Oh and i did see it took a few bite from the hikari wafer

Upvote 0

BVUBeavers

Definitely NOT a BN Pleco...but BN Plecos are usually the most inexpensive in my LFS next to Common pleco...so you got more than what you paid for.

My guess is either a clown pleco - but most likely an L270. Now I need a L270...love that coloration (Chocolate Zebra).

If it is L270 and you paid for BN you paid half of what its worth...consider yourself lucky.

Upvote 0

Oeuf1130

here's an update of it's underside
20211203_214517.jpg

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Guppy43
Replies
Views
Nutter