I need help on plants!!

CookieDog1357

Hello everyone! I am going to be ordering a few plants from Buceplants soon. However I’m not sure if they will survive so I need some help!
I'm looking to buy:
Elodea/anacharis
Dwarf Sag
Banana Plant
Christmas Moss
•Buce Black Pearl
My tank is very basic. It is 10 gallons with 10 lbs of black gravel. I’m using the leds that came with the tank. The ph is 7.5 and everything is at 0ppm. The temp always stays at 78-80°F. I have one betta and 2 amanos. I have 2 large anubias nanas and 8 moss balls which all seem to be doing good. The anubias grows new leaves every week. I will dose flourish. Should I be using root tabs or liquid co2? Any other fertilizers like iron or NPK? I have killed 2 bunches of anacharises before (different tank) but idk if that was because of my inexperience or because of the warm water/low light/shock to new parameters. A lot of these plants I have seen say they can live in low light and no planted tank substrate but others say the opposite. I am going to be doing an alum dip to kill all snails and eggs for 2 days. Will this be ok for these plants? I need a lot of clarification since all this information seems to contradict themselves.
(Sorry for reposting this thread.. I don’t think anyone saw the other one)

Blueberrybetta

Is there a reason nitrates are 0ppm? They shouldnt be 0ppm, they need to be between 10-20ppm, it means your tank isn't cycled and plants thrive on nitrates as well.... Did you cycle your tank correctly ?

CookieDog1357

Is there a reason nitrates are 0ppm? They shouldnt be 0ppm, they need to be between 10-20ppm, it means your tank isn't cycled and plants thrive on nitrates as well.... Did you cycle your tank correctly ?
Yes I am positive I cycled my tank right. For some reason every time I check the parameters with the apI test kit, the nitrate one is always bright yellow. It has stayed like that for months now and everything else is also ok. I think the plants may be absorbing the nitrates?

Jaquatic

I agree with blueberrybetta. You want some nitrates. You don’t need to use root tabs but they do help. If you are going to buy liquid fertilizer I suggest buying Easy Green. Very simple and effective. Also snails are good for aquariums imo, I don’t do planted tanks without them.

Blueberrybetta

Yes I am positive I cycled my tank right. For some reason every time I check the parameters with the apI test kit, the nitrate one is always bright yellow. It has stayed like that for months now and everything else is also ok. I think the plants may be absorbing the nitrates?

You don't have enough plants for them to consume all the nitrates . Are you testing the nitrates correctly ? With shaking nitrate bottle #2 for 30sec then shaking the tube itself for a whole minute

Dunk2

If you’re certain the tank is cycled, are you doing the nitrate test according to the instructions? Shaking bottle 2 for 30 seconds and then shaking the vial for a minute? Let sit for 5 minutes?

toeknee

I've had minimally planted and minimally stocked tanks over a year old that have read 0 Nitrates. 1 Betta and 2 Amanos wouldn't be producing much Ammonia to convert down into Nitrates. 0 nitrates or close enough to 0 to look like 0 in the water test is entirely feasible.

CookieDog1357

To Dunk2 and BlueBerryBetta I definitely did it right each time. I also found it very strange when I got 0ppm so every time I test the water I reread the instructions and rewatch video tutorials to make sure I’m doing it right. Will the plants be ok without any nitrates?

CookieDog1357

I agree with blueberrybetta. You want some nitrates. You don’t need to use root tabs but they do help. If you are going to buy liquid fertilizer I suggest buying Easy Green. Very simple and effective. Also snails are good for aquariums imo, I don’t do planted tanks without them.
Thank you! So do you think that the plants will be ok in the tank conditions that I have?

Blondeath

To Dunk2 and BlueBerryBetta I definitely did it right each time. I also found it very strange when I got 0ppm so every time I test the water I reread the instructions and rewatch video tutorials to make sure I’m doing it right. Will the plants be ok without any nitrates?
With just a betta in the tank and a few plants you may not see nitrates. The plants are probably absorbing them. If you are getting anacharis don’t dose co2 liquid.

CookieDog1357

I've had minimally planted and minimally stocked tanks over a year old that have read 0 Nitrates. 1 Betta and 2 Amanos wouldn't be producing much Ammonia to convert down into Nitrates. 0 nitrates or close enough to 0 to look like 0 in the water test is entirely feasible.
thank you that definitely makes me feel a lot less worried!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
CookieDog1357
  • Question
Replies
Views
BettasAreSuperior
Replies
Views
SouthAmericanCichlids
Replies