I need help NOW!

1. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Okay so yesterday I got 40 red cherry shrimp. The tank is cycled, temp is 80, and there are a lot of plants. Also the tank is a 40gal breeder. Here's the problem. I have lost 10 RCS already and idk what the problem is. Could it be they are still stressed from the transport? Or what??! Please let me know.

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

3. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

I waited 15 mins, then add alittle water to the bag, then waited another 15 min and added some more and I did that for about an hour. My pH is 6.8, nitrate is 20, nitrite 0, GH is hard, ammonia 0, KH is 120. I got them from the store.

4. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

How do you keep your pH so low if you have high GH and KH?

They may have been poor stock to begin with. How long did the store have them before you took them home?

5. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Well it was Inbetween 6.8 and 7.2
    I got them the day when they came:(

6. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

Were their parameters the same as the tank's parameters when you let them out of the bag?

7. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Yes.

8. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

Buying fish the same day they arrive at a shop is asking for trouble. I assume shrimp are the same. They had the stress of the journey, then the stress of the shop's different parameters (which they were still adjusting to), then different parameters again. Also they might not have been healthy to start with. It's always best to leave stuff in the shop for a few days until they've adjusted. :)

9. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

A fluctuating pH isn't good either, and with a high GH and KH, I don't know how your pH is so low.

10. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

My pH is lower because I added Eco-complete and that lowers it alittle

The reason we bought it is because they would have been all gone in the next few days.

11. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Sorry about your shrimp :(
    Well not sure why your shrimp are dying - it could be a few different things. First, I would stop using anything that adjusts your ph. Ph is usually not a problem unless it swings ( high or low ) think of it like an altitude sickness - when it drops or increases, thats what its like.
    MOST fish adapt to all sorts of ph levels.
    My shrimp tank is at around 8.0 ph naturally and they are doing fine.

As for your temps, 80 degrees might be a bit too high - are you using a heater? I have mine set at 74/75.

Is there any other occupants in the same tank?

12. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

First I put Eco-complete at the beginning for gravel. It's gravel and that's all. I looked on the Internet on many resources and it says for it to be 78-80.
    Do you think I should turn the temp down and see if that solves the problem?

13. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I don't know what the problem may be - I was just trying to give you some suggestions but it sounds like you have everything figured out.... Good luck and hopefully you just had a bad batch or something.........

14. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

thank you very much for the help though :). i think i just took the shrimp at the most stressful time.:(

15. Skyy2112 Member Member

Stress may be such. RCS are very hardy, But moving tends to be the #1 problem.

(Two dozen in 20g)

My suggestion, drop temp to 78(my personal, and suggested).

Is eco the tiny gravel spheres or chemicals? If chemicals, stop use.

16. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

i would never use chemicals with shrimp period. i have 30 of them left in my 40gal breeder. I guess i could try to drop it slowly, but i don't think that is the problem.

17. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Ecocomplete shouldn't be causing the issues.

I'd drop down the temp to even lower - RCS do well in cooler temps. I'd shoot for low to mid 70s F.

Can you double check your GH and KH in the tank?

18. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

sure and it does because my top 40gal breeder has a higher pH

19. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Can you check the GH and KH of the shrimp tank specifically though? GH and KH can differ between tanks even if they have the same source water. If Ecocomplete is lowering your pH, it's lowering your GH and/or KH too.

20. Skyy2112 Member Member

I use tap/RO every other. Sorry I cant help more. (Will continue to check but thats all I got. )

Do you use Prime to dechlor water?