I need help my fish keep dying

1. cem593 Initiate Member

im new to fish keeping other than a beta or 2, i have a 10 gallon tank that i let cycle for a month before putting anything in it. PH is fine, temperature is right and i have plenty air yet my fish still keep dying and i dont know why. can anyone tell me what beginner mistake i am making i have a few fish that haven't died for some reason the others did

2. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I can make a fair guess as to what the problem is but it will be best if you can answer a few questions so we can be sure!

How did you cycle your tank? What was your ammonia source? What kind of filter are you running?

What stock is living in it currently? What stock have you had in it before?

Welcome to the forum by the way! We've all been beginners before and we've all made one or more of the mistakes so don't feel bad:)

3. clk89 Well Known Member Member

How did you cycle your tank?
    What are your exact parameters ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, ?
    What fish did you put into your ten gallon?
    Did the fish show any signs of disease?

PS: Aquaphobia is very fast lol.

4. cem593 Initiate Member

I used some water from an established tank ive had a 5 gal with a betta for a couple years now with no problems

filter is the aqua tech 5-15

i first stocked it with a corycat, 4 guppies and 2 platys, i have 2 platies and one guppy left and i got another cory the first one died

5. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Unfortunately, water does not contain much in the way of nitrifying bacteria. They tend to live attached to surfaces in the aquarium, especially in the filter media which is designed to hold as much bacteria as possible!

Without cycled media the ammonia would have built up to dangerous levels very quickly and cories are not known for being particularly hardy fish. They're also shoalers and do better with several of their own kind.

None of that matters anyway though because a 10 gallon is too small for them:(

LOL I should put my typing speed in my profile:p

6. cem593 Initiate Member

no signs of disease at all, they all acted fine up until the hour they passed they would stop swimming and sit at the bottom

i did not test nirate? just ph

7. clk89 Well Known Member Member

Using water from an established tank won't cycle a tank as most of the bacteria is in the filter not the water column. You would of need to have used some of the filter media to do that.

What test are you using? You need to test for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate to know if you are actually cycled or not. I would guess you aren't cycled.

Also cory cats are too active for a ten gallon and need at least six of the same species type.

If you can I would grab some stability to help you cycle your tank and it will make it easier on the fish. Plus you can do water changes with that to keep ammonia and nitrites low enough for fish health until cycled.

8. cem593 Initiate Member

ok so where do i go from here?

9. clk89 Well Known Member Member

Well you need a test that can test ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Many highly recommend api freshwater liquid test. Then you can use a dechlorinator like prime that detoxifies nitrities. Plus using stability as I mentioned earlier.

10. clk89 Well Known Member Member

Yes, but try to make sure your local store uses a liquid water test and get exact numbers from them not just "it's good". :)

11. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Do you have a water conditioner? Prime is highly recommended by members of this forum because it detoxifies ammonia, nitrites and nitrates plus heavy metals. It's a good product and a little goes a long way!

You need to start doing big water changes or more frequent smaller ones with treated water until you can get a test kit. Liquid test kits are more expensive up front but cheaper in the long run than strips as well as being more accurate. Test kits are a very useful tool in fishkeeping.

I would take back or rehome the cory at least and maybe your Platies as well. Have a read through this well-written piece, it will help to give you an idea of how many fish you can keep safely in a 10 gallon: https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/...tions/200264-stocking-options-10-gallons.html

12. cem593 Initiate Member

13. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

That's the stuff!:)

14. cem593 Initiate Member

one more question, will the test kit come with everything i need to adjust the nirates and ammonia,like if its too high? or will that conditioner keep it stabilized?

15. clk89 Well Known Member Member

It won't adjust anything no, it's just a kit to test the water with. Most recommend not adding chemicals that do adjust the water parameters except for special cases as those chemicals can throw things off and make it stressful on the fish.

Stability will help cycle your tank, and water changes will lower the ammonia and nitrities so fish aren't stressed out during the cycling process. Now you know your tank is cycled when Ammonia is 0, Nitrites is 0, and Nitrate is 20 or less PPM.

16. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Also test your tap water when you get it because this will help you to know what you're starting with. Some people have ammonia or nitrates in their tap which makes cycling and maintaining a tank a little bit trickier!