I Need Help Identifying This Fish.

1. S

Scottsallpro New Member Member

Someone help please. 1.I would like to know what this is. 2. Can he go in a tank with a jack Dempsey? Thank you. New to the hobby so any help is great.

Attached Files:

2. AJE

AJE Well Known Member Member

Black convict cichlid I literally googled cichlid and it was the first to pop up

3. OP
    OP
    S

Thank you for the help. Looking them up now. Do you see how long the fins are on mine? Is that common?

Attached Files:

4. AJE

Not in the pictures I have seen, but I do know with fish in general the longer the fin the more valuable the fish

5. OP
    OP
    S

Great. So would a jack Dempsey be an ideal fish mate? Thank you again.

6. AJE

The Jack Dempsey gets quite a bit bigger, when it grows up your convict will might become a snack

7. OP
    OP
    S

The Dempsey will be a baby. Am picking him up tm. Will the convict snack on him?

8. yukondog

yukondog Well Known Member Member

What size tank?

9. AJE

How
    big is the convict? And how big is the jack? If they are the same size now, the Jack will grow and eat the con. The Jack grows to be about three times bigger than the con.

10. OP
    OP
    S

I believe 60g tank and the j.d I'm getting will be considerably smaller.

I'd say the convict is about 2 1/2 inches in length.

11. AJE

If a fish can fit in another fishes mouth the bigger one will eat it. What other fish are in there?

12. OP
    OP
    S

The size roughly of a small lego

I'm also getting a albino Oscar.

Attached Files:

13. AJE

I forgot, welcome
    I think it too would get too big

14. OP
    OP
    S

So for the time being I should be fine?

15. AJE

Unless you have a for sure new home with in a year or so I would say no, how about you put this in a stocking threa?

16. OP
    OP
    S

And thanks again for the help. I thought this was a long fin black skirt tetra. Lol. I got it for my son a while back and he's bored with it so I decided I would set up a tank I had in the basement but needed to know what fish i had before I threw him with the O and J.D. so thanks for the help.

17. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

Yeah. But remember JD grow up to be mean, aggressive fish that ultimately do best in a tank by themselves. Would HIGHLY reccomend against getting a JD unless your open to the idea of getting and setting up another tank.

Edit: oscars grow large as well and do better in larger tank - like a 75g - for a single adult. So best not purchasing an oscar.

18. OP
    OP
    S

I have a 75g in storage. Would that do?

19. AJE

After all JD are named after a boxer for a reason

20. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

For a single JD or oscar, it should be fine. Any other fish is likely to become a victim in a tank that small, so best just leave it as a single fish setup and choose between these two fish - the one you like the best.