I need help identifying these assorted african cichlids!

1. a

abishop New Member Member

I bought these fish as an assortment and apparently I have a breeding pair. Which is great, however, I dont know what breed they are so I can give them away properly. I am specifically looking for the blue verticallly striped one, which is holding. I was thinking clown lab? I also have a few others I need to identify. The yellowish one is what spawned with the blue striped one holding.
    photo (3).JPG
    photo.JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    photo.JPG

2. Gordinian

Gordinian Well Known Member Member

Welcome to fishlore!

The first one is definitely a kenyi. The second one looks like a male kenyi, but it's different from ones that I've seen before, so it might not be pure kenyi. I think the one in the third picture is a cobalt, but wait for more responses. I'm not sure what the other two are.

In the third picture- is that a jewel cichlid? They aren't compatible with mbuna cichlids like the ones you have.

Edit: the fourth looks like a snow white, and the fifth looks like a johanni.

3. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94 Fishlore VIP Member

I agree, first two are Kenyi Mbunas. Blue is female yellow is male.
    Third guy is a Cobalt Zebra Mbuna.
    Fourth one is an Albino Zebra Mbuna. Probably an albino Red Zebra since those are more common.
    Fifth is a Johanni :).

4. OP
    OP
    a

abishop New Member Member

Awesome! Thanks so much for helping us identify our unnamed fish.

@ Dolphinlover101. no it's not a jewel cichlid. It's a green terror and he gets along just fine with our African cichlids. It's started out as a temporary home but ended up staying.

5. btate617

btate617 Well Known Member Member

A bit older post, but the second picture is for sure not a male Kenyi, Metriaclima Lombardoi.
    Probably more along the lines of a poorly colored Iodotropheus Sprengerae.

Brian