Help I need help, how can I save my tank and make shrimp happy!

METROID

New Member
Member
Messages
22
Reaction score
9
Location
Canada
Experience
Just started
Hello Forum

I have 6 blues rilis shrimps with one blue ramhorns snail in my aquarium with plants since 2 week ago.

My water parameters: (PH: 7 / GH: 4.8 / KH: 1.7 / Amonia: 0 / N02: 0 / CU: 0)
(DTS: 288ppm.)

Last week: one of my shrimp died by molting problem / one died (up side down by IDK how) and one died laying side and it became pink.

Today my ramhorn snail I think it dead because he's not moving. I have 3 shrimps left and they are not moving munch.
I notice also I having a hard time to growing plants.

Idk what to do, I try everything in research and i don't know where I am going to find the problem in my aquarium.

Please I need help to find what is my problem with my aquarium. =(

I want to successfully breed my shrimp and plant healthy.

thumbnail_IMG_3604.jpg
 

fishbreeeder

Active Member
Member
Messages
216
Reaction score
67
I know nothing about shrimp but just because your snail isn't moving doesn't mean its dead. Snails stink really bad when they die
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
METROID

METROID

New Member
Member
Messages
22
Reaction score
9
Location
Canada
Experience
Just started
fishbreeeder said:
I know nothing about shrimp but just because your snail isn't moving doesn't mean its dead. Snails stink really bad when they die
the body is like shrinking from inside of shell
 

fishbreeeder

Active Member
Member
Messages
216
Reaction score
67
its alive. i suggest to put it in a diffrent tank and see if it comes out. I had that problom befor
 

AquaCaitlin

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,030
Reaction score
1,453
Experience
2 years
Do you know your Nitrates (no3)? Usually they aren’t a problem, but if they get super high they can be, although with all your plants I suspect something else is the matter.

Have you started using anything different in your tank like ferts, water conditioners, or foods?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6
OP
METROID

METROID

New Member
Member
Messages
22
Reaction score
9
Location
Canada
Experience
Just started
AquaCaitlin said:
Do you know your Nitrates (no3)? Usually they aren’t a problem, but if they get super high they can be, although with all your plants I suspect something else is the matter.

Have you started using anything different in your tank like ferts, water conditioners, or foods?
Not really to be honest, I don't use ferts. And I dont give really shrimp food because they can eat plants. but i don't know the water condition.
 

AquaCaitlin

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,030
Reaction score
1,453
Experience
2 years
The shrimp won’t really eat the plants, but rather the tiny biofilm and algae that forms on the plants and other objects in the tanks.

The snail will also eat these things, between your shrimp and snails it is quite possible they simply ran out of algae and biofilm to eat. It is always best to feed foods like blanched veggies, algae wafers, or shrimp pellets to help them thrive.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9
OP
METROID

METROID

New Member
Member
Messages
22
Reaction score
9
Location
Canada
Experience
Just started
AquaCaitlin said:
The shrimp won’t really eat the plants, but rather the tiny biofilm and algae that forms on the plants and other objects in the tanks.

The snail will also eat these things, between your shrimp and snails it is quite possible they simply ran out of algae and biofilm to eat. It is always best to feed foods like blanched veggies, algae wafers, or shrimp pellets to help them thrive.
I did put a little shrimp pellets in aquarium (sinceIi have 3 left) every day, but they don't eat the food =/. Is it because they don't like it?

I heard If you over feed, they can die (i don't know it true).

they have a little brown algae on plant and on wall too. They don't eat those no?

Can you explain more detail about biofilm?
 

AquaCaitlin

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,030
Reaction score
1,453
Experience
2 years
METROID said:
I did put a little shrimp pellets in aquarium (sinceIi have 3 left) every day, but they don't eat the food =/. Is it because they don't like it?

I heard If you over feed, they can die (i don't know it true).

they have a little brown algae on plant and on wall too. They don't eat those no?

Can you explain more detail about biofilm?
Your shrimp might just have been picky. Foods like blanched zucchini might entice them.


bi·o·film -ˈbīōˌfilm/ noun -a thin, slimy film of bacteria that adheres to a surface.

It consists of sugars, bacteria, and other substances that shrimp and snails alike will snack on. It develops on basically everything in your aquarium, I’ve found it becomes visibly noticeable the longer I leave my light on or if I have Indian Almond leaves in the water.



If you were feeding the shrimp it is also possible that there could be something else causing them to pass. Is there any way copper could have gotten into your aquarium? What is the temperature of the water?

If your main goal is to breed them this article on aquarium co-op is very informative as well: :)
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11
OP
METROID

METROID

New Member
Member
Messages
22
Reaction score
9
Location
Canada
Experience
Just started
AquaCaitlin said:
Your shrimp might just have been picky. Foods like blanched zucchini might entice them.


bi·o·film -ˈbīōˌfilm/ noun -a thin, slimy film of bacteria that adheres to a surface.

It consists of sugars, bacteria, and other substances that shrimp and snails alike will snack on. It develops on basically everything in your aquarium, I’ve found it becomes visibly noticeable the longer I leave my light on or if I have Indian Almond leaves in the water.



If you were feeding the shrimp it is also possible that there could be something else causing them to pass. Is there any way copper could have gotten into your aquarium? What is the temperature of the water?

If your main goal is to breed them this article on aquarium co-op is very informative as well: :)
I check it and I think i notice CU now is between 0 - 0.25 i think (how it happen?) 0.0
*how to remove copper?
My temperature is always 72F.

Question what happen if the DTS is above 300ppm?

I will add Almond leaves and .

Thank you
 

AquaCaitlin

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,030
Reaction score
1,453
Experience
2 years
Shrimp are very sensitive to copper, somehow some must have gotten into your aquarium. I would do a water change- make sure to let the faucet run for a a minute or so just in case there is traces of copper in the faucet.

I’m not familiar with dts...
 

Fisheye

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,513
Reaction score
1,161
Location
Toronto, Canada
Experience
5 to 10 years
Did you cycle your tank before adding livestock?

Why do you test for copper? What was in this tank before the shrimp?

Please post nitrates.

Shrimp do very well in established tanks. If you tank is new and uncycled, that could contribute to your issue. The testing for copper is concerning. And yeah, feed your shrimp!! They love to eat all kinds of stuff in addition to biofilm on botanicals...algae wafers, shrimp pellets, repashy, snello, bloodworms (sparingly).
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #15
OP
METROID

METROID

New Member
Member
Messages
22
Reaction score
9
Location
Canada
Experience
Just started
fishbreeeder said:
hows the snail.
It still alive. even i change the aquarium it still hide in the shell. How you can tell if the snail are healthy =/ ?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #16
OP
METROID

METROID

New Member
Member
Messages
22
Reaction score
9
Location
Canada
Experience
Just started
AquaCaitlin said:
Shrimp are very sensitive to copper, somehow some must have gotten into your aquarium. I would do a water change- make sure to let the faucet run for a a minute or so just in case there is traces of copper in the faucet.

I’m not familiar with dts...
I did my water change now (20%). I found out one of tap water have tiny amount of copper. Compare the tap water of bath there's none. I hope it help and i'll restest.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #17
OP
METROID

METROID

New Member
Member
Messages
22
Reaction score
9
Location
Canada
Experience
Just started
Fisheye said:
Did you cycle your tank before adding livestock?

Why do you test for copper? What was in this tank before the shrimp?

Please post nitrates.

Shrimp do very well in established tanks. If you tank is new and uncycled, that could contribute to your issue. The testing for copper is concerning. And yeah, feed your shrimp!! They love to eat all kinds of stuff in addition to biofilm on botanicals...algae wafers, shrimp pellets, repashy, snello, bloodworms (sparingly).
I already water cycle since i have my aquarium. I let it for a month before I got shrimp.
The Nitrate (N03) is at 5ppm. I have allot living plants.

And yeah I'll try feed allot
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #19
OP
METROID

METROID

New Member
Member
Messages
22
Reaction score
9
Location
Canada
Experience
Just started
Fisheye said:
Why are you testing for copper? This matters.

Water changes: how much and frequency?
copper is what killing shrimp. Never let copper in aquarium when you have shrimp.
I do once a week or 2 week (depending the water condition)
 

Fisheye

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,513
Reaction score
1,161
Location
Toronto, Canada
Experience
5 to 10 years
What is the source of the copper? You don't need to test for it unless you've dosed your tank OR your water source contains detectable levels.

I have kept shrimp for years-Bamboo, Amano, Short nose, CRS and RCS. Never have I once tested for copper.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
95
Guests online
1,998
Total visitors
2,093

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom