I. Need. Help. Algae.

Zacahriah

Reaction score
ok so. I have an itty bitty issue. I've got quite a bit of algae growing in my tank recently. Now the thing is I've also recently started dosing my tank with ferts but this was due to many of my plants showing an assortment of deficiencies (basically NPK). Even before I had started dosing, there was algae but it's just gotten worse. The tank is 20 g with 7 Tiger barbs and a pleco who is being lazy and won't do her job (or maybe she's doing her best?). Anyway, the parameters of the tank are as follow.
Nitrate: 10-20ppm (colors are too simular so I cant tell)
Nitrite: 0ppm
Ammonia: 0ppm
pH: 6.5
I started dosing with Seachem NPK (separate bottles) to treat the deficiencies and on the next day, I ad flourish and flourish advanced. I have Co2 pumping the appropriate amounts (according to the meter) and full-spectrum light from 5am-11pm and blue light for another 4 hours at night. Maybe im being impatient but my plants arnt improving and algae is getting worse. It's only been a couple of days since the ferts started but still I'm anxious and feel like im doing something wrong. Advice much needed!

johnbirg

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi,
There is no magic bullet for algae because there are many causes. Excessive nutrients, too much light, and others.
From what I read above you seem to be experiencing impatience syndrome. Firstly, light. Your aquarium should have no more than an absolute maximum of 12 hours light. 5am to 11pm is WAY too much. I run mine for 07:30 to 09:30 -100% 09:30 to 15:30 25%and 15:30 to 19:30 100%. This is all at normal RGB levels. Blue light does nothing so don't understand why you would think it is useful.
Okay, let's get to the ferts and plants. I understand that your tank has not been established for a long period but hopefully it is cycled. The nitrate readings you described are fairly low as somewhere between 20-40 is fine. It's quite common for new plants to melt in a new tank until everything has a chance to establish. I am not a fan of CO2 because during the day plants use CO2 and give off O2 and at night they use O2 and give off CO2. A lot of problems occur when people get too carried away with excessive cleaning. There's a need for some fish waste to be available to the BB so it can be broken down and it will then be used by the plants. This takes time to establish. The remaining nutrients required by the plants are usually replenished by water changes and unless you are using RO water there are usually enough minerals to support the plants. Once the plants are established they will usually out compete the algae and starve the algae out. Anyway this is a pic of my 84 gallon planted tank with no ferts, no additives and no CO2.
IMG_20190812_183936487_HDR.jpg

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom