I Need Help/advice

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by 1111a, Apr 18, 2017.

1. 1

1111a New Member Member

Hi new here so if I posted this wrong I am sorry, please let me know and ill fix it for the future!

I am setting up my 55 gallon tank(no its not ready yet, yes I am waiting until it cycles etc.)
    But I would like some advice on if the selection of fish/invertebrates I want will be to much or just right. I have never had a 55 gallon but just about everything else below that.
    (yes I have done my research and have talked to fish experts about the species also.)
    LIST OF SPECIES:
    ONE, orange dwarf cray fish (about 1 1/2")
    ONE, vampire shrimp ( about 6" size)
    ONE MAYBE TWO, kuhli loach( about 4" size)
    TWO-THREE, snails(Japanese trap door, nerite) ( about 1" and 3" size)
    ONE, blood red eye sword tail (about 4" size)
    THREE, platys (about 2 1/2" size)
    ONE, blue powder dwarf gourami (about 3 1/2" size)
    THREE, guppies ( about 2" size)
    ONE, gold dantoid ( about 1-4" size)
    ONE, endler live bearer (about 1" size)
    ONE, bleed heart tetra (about 2" size)
    ONE, german blue ram (about 2 1/2"size)
    ONE, cockatoo cichlid (about 2 1/2" size)
    ONE, blue lyretail (about 1 1/2" size)
    Might be a little off with sizes was doing it by memory!
    ANY ADVICE WILL HELP THANKS!

2. Sacha

Sacha Valued Member Member

Well, i'm no expert. But i see some flaws i think.
    This is a very big list and a very big mix of very different species.
    Tetras are a schooling fish. Keep 6+, not one, please.
    Also, Gouramis will be stressed out by the livebearers. Too much activity. Also a GBR. Some fish may attack each other.

3. OP
    OP

1111a New Member Member

oops I didn't mean to put the tetra on this list I want to add that to my tank I have now I have other tetra in.
    I never thought that the gourami would get stressed mine always seemed fine with schooling fast fish maybe because I had a pair of gouramis?

4. Sacha

It's not the schooling fish. it's the hyperactive livebearers. i would generally advise against a big mix if 1 of 20 different species. why not just 2 species but 5 to 10 of them? you can have different color platies and guppies and also maybe the snails and the shrimp

5. OP
    OP

1111a New Member Member

Well I defiantly want the loach, cray fish, shrimp and the gourami and cockatoo. I already have a tank with little species. I want to try to go a little bigger and different with my 55 gallon.

I guess ill just try those out at first but get a couple starter fish before them. like a couple guppies or platys.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  6. Sacha

Starter fish?
    Is your tank cycled?
    Why would you need starter fish?

7. OP
    OP

1111a New Member Member

No its not done yet and I meant more to make sure the levels stay right when it is fully done. I just like to make extra sure it wont hurt any species that cant handle little changes. I've always done it that way.

8. Sacha

Ok, not a bad idea. But will you leave them in afterwards?

9. OP
    OP

1111a New Member Member

Probably not, probably just put them in a different take I have, not really sure though. I still have time to decide.

10. tfreema

tfreema Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to the forum! So glad you have joined us!

I see a few areas of concern:
    Kuhli loaches should be kept in groups. You could do 10+ in a 55.

Crayfish will eat shrimp, kuhlis, and any fish it can get a hold of.
    Tetras and I think endlers are schooling fish so 6+ is required.

If you want to go with larger, consider black red tail shark as your centerpiece fish? They get to about 5-6" and are very active and on display all the time.

Welcome to the forum! So glad you have joined us!

I see a few areas of concern:
    Kuhli loaches should be kept in groups. You could do 10+ in a 55.

Crayfish will eat shrimp, kuhlis, and any fish it can get a hold of.
    Tetras and I think endlers are schooling fish so 6+ is required.

If you want to go with larger, consider black red tail shark as your centerpiece fish? They get to about 5-6" and are very active and on display all the time.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  11. OP
    OP

1111a New Member Member

I have had dwarf cray fish and they are really peaceful never hurt any of my fish or bottom feeders as long as you keep them fed and lots of hiding places. Kuhli loach I want 2 at fist and will add if I need to. And the sword fish is not a shark it will only get 4"

12. tfreema

tfreema Fishlore VIP Member

Hmmmmm.... maybe I can try a dwarf one. I have wanted one but not to the detriment of any of my fish.

The shark was a suggestion of something that was not on your list because you said in another post you wanted larger fish for this tank.

You will likely rarely see your kuhlis with just 2. They are more comfortable and secure in higher numbers. My black ones are more visible and less shy than the banded ones. It makes me sad because the banded are so pretty with the black and orange colors.

13. OP
    OP

1111a New Member Member

I am sorry about that I read it to fast. I looked into sharks but ive only had rainbow ones and they were aggressive ( I was a kid then though) and ill probably get more kuhlis never had more then 4 before. thanks for the advice. I'm down to the gourami and 2 cichlids for the fish right now. I still have about a week before my tank should be fully done so ill keep thinking.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice