I Need Experts. I've Tried Everything.

1. HannahH Member Member

My blue betta is just not getting better. He is FINALLY done with swim bladder. He swims up and down and all around. Has some umpf in him again. Hunts at the bottom and is happily eating like a pig. His fins are healing as well, no more fungus and they are growing again.. BUT Idk what the heck this is. Is that normal for scales to do that? He looks like he has a lump on one side? If it is not one thing then it is another with this guy. :bigtears:

I tested the water today
    Ammonia o
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 5.0

I do a 30% water change every 3 days. He is in a 10g split planted tank, his neighbor has a tumor (That wouldn't do anything to him would it?) I've treated the tank with fungus cure, rapid cure, life guard, and had salt in it. this is in the pass few months not all at once.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tommywantfishy Well Known Member Member

You need to med that fish asap. Jungle fungus clear tabs.
    Fin collapse. How much flow do you have in there?

3. Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

The pineconing isn't a good sign...how much has he eaten? Mine gets really swollen if I let him eat too much on occasion.

4. HannahH Member Member

I just put a sponge filter in about 2 weeks ago so now there is some surface movement. Jungle fungas? Do they sell that pet petco/smart? What exactly does it do? what is fin collapse? I feel like such a bad fish mom now

He usually gets 4-5 pellets a day

5. tommywantfishy Well Known Member Member

Dont want too much surface movement. I have a rosetail. They are the most prone to fin collapse bc they have a lot of drag in their fins. I work him out 2x a day. It helps them poo and strengthens fins. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. tommywantfishy Well Known Member Member

I give mine 2-4 omega one betta buffet pellets/day.
    Sorry for the non edit mods. Darn!!!!!

7. bopsalot Well Known Member Member

I'm nobody's expert, but he looks bloated to me. But 4-5 pellets a day sounds reasonable. Do you soak the pellets beforehand to hydrate them? Some pellets can swell up quite a bit in water.

8. HannahH Member Member

Oh, no there is just a little tiny bit of movement the floating plants dont even move at all

@bopsalot

I soak before. Depending on the size of the pellet once soaked determines how much I feed. Ya' know some are larger than others

9. tommywantfishy Well Known Member Member

I run an azoo mignon 60 filter and a corner filter. I have used betta revive by Hikari, but the Jungle fungus clear was the best. Got it on amazon. Your fish needs some help. They can live with collapsed fins but definitely can not tolerate much flow.

10. HannahH Member Member

Does he look like he has a specific disease of some sort? I want to know what i'm looking for. Does the jungle fungus need the carbon out? what about the sponge filter?

11. KimberlyG Well Known Member Member

The Jungle Fungus Clear I am assuming is being suggested for the fins.
    I am more concerned about the bloating and pineconing.
    I would fast him for a couple days, then feed him a bit of blanched, deshelled pea.
    In the meantime I would do an epsom salt bath to draw out excess fluids and try to make him more comfortable.

12. tommywantfishy Well Known Member Member

Jungle Fungus Clear | Healthy Betta

13. Over It Well Known Member Member

Looks like he has Dropsy. I'd start researching treatments right away. I've never dealt with Dropsy or I'd offer some more advice, sorry.

14. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

looks like dropsy , dropsy is very hard to cure but in some cases curable , I just recently had a goldfish with dropsy and i cured him completly with lots of help from @Discusluv .

you'll need 3 things , seachem kanaplex , seachem metroplex or metro+ by hikari and Epsom salt.

for Epsom salt dose 1/8 tsp for every 5 gallons of water , with kanaplex you'll have to do 50% water changes every 48 hours and re dose medication , with metro+ you'll have to make medicated food out of it and feed twice a day (I could give you the recipe if you want) and don't forgot with every water change you'll have to re add Epsom salt.

15. HannahH Member Member

The metro+ looks like it is already in pelleted form? And the Kanaplex is it okay to feed the metro+ and dose with kanaplex at the same time? I also read you can mix food with kanaplex instead??

16. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

metro+ is basically powder like , you have to make food with it , I used bloodworms soaked in garlic juice (for flavor) to mix with metro+ and gelatin. You can definetly use kanaplex and metro+ together it's actually recommended it's the best mix for dropsy , feed metro+ , dose kanaplex in water and add Epsom salt to water , 50% water change every 48 hours.

my goldfish was huge swollen , pine cone effect , not eating , not active , clamped fins ect.. 10 days into treatment he is night and day , he eats like a pig , he is very active , no more clamped fins , no more pine cone effect and no more swelling.

17. HannahH Member Member

See, this fish eats like a pig, swims all over and spazzes whenever he sees me walking up to the tank.

He had swim bladder like a month ago and couldn't swim down and stay down he just would float back up so I fasted him and did a lot of water changes- long story short decaying plants killed my perimeters. He finally got better and started swimming up and down and all around. He doesn't lay sideways or anything either.

I'm ordering some medication for him online

18. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

by the pictures it appears to be dropsy , but maybe @Discusluv can help out since she was tremendous help with my situation and dropsy.

also if it is in fact dropsy , it must be treated immediately because fish can pass on very fast. Unless your ordering over night shipping I would really go out tmr and check out LFS for the meds.

dropsy is curable but it is very serious.

19. KimberlyG Well Known Member Member

Dropsy is a symptom that can show up with a few different issues. I don't necessarily see a lump on just one side so I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it was a growth. Viewing the fish from the top, he seems pretty evenly bloated on both sides in the two areas of swelling.
    I would do an espom salt bath (not put epsom in the tank) 1/2 tablespoon of dissolved espom to 1/2 gallon of tank water. I have one of those glad-ware containers only for fish. It's smaller so the dose comes out to 3/4 teaspoon in 32 ounces (4 cups) of water. Do this for 30-60 minutes. It can be done twice a day. You needs to stay by the fish during baths. Watch for signs of distress. Bettas are jumpers as well and I have heard of them jumping out of baths.
    You need to be careful with medications. I read someone here mention kanamycin. It is my medication of last resort. It is very good, but also very harsh. It can damage the kidneys. I wouldn't treat a shared tank with it in this case. It sounds like your other boy has enough problems.

20. HannahH Member Member

I think he have epsom salt somewhere but I think its scented so i don't think I can use it. I'll probably have to buy some plain epsom salt. Yeah my other boys tumor is starting to take a toll on him, probably going to be time soon. :(