I need everyones input

Coryd55
Ok so I officially have 2 medium sized tanks that have nothing in them at all. I would really like your suggestions on what to put in them. One is a 30G and the other looks like a 40G(not sure maybe a little more or less). I really need ideas on the stock. Anything would be appreciated. I would like to make one of them a cichlid tank with all rocks if that is possible. ANY input at ALL would be so appreciated because I am at a loss of what to put in.

MudHog
what about:

40G: cichlids like your wanting with rocks

30G: live plants with shrimp and ottos

King_Snuggles
yeah 40G with the cichlids and rocks
30G: live plants 15 or so tetras and some corys

Coryd55
Ok I think I will definatley do a cichlid tank w/ rocks in the questionable 40G. Now I need to know what kind of cichlids would fit in there(considering rocks taking up quite a few gallons).

On the 30G I'm still not sure so keep the suggestions coming =)

Sabi
African or SA cichlids?

30gal- Live plants, tetras- black-cardinal- b\rummynose-golwlights/ Barbs- cherry-ruby/ harlequin rasboras/

Allie
Ok I think I will definatley do a cichlid tank w/ rocks in the questionable 40G. Now I need to know what kind of cichlids would fit in there(considering rocks taking up quite a few gallons).

On the 30G I'm still not sure so keep the suggestions coming =)
Honestly with the 40 gallon go with Lake MalawI african cichlids...they are so fun and active. I love our 120g.
Here an article you may find helpful

MudHog
Have you considered dwarf puffers?

40G - cichlids

30G - heavy planted with live plants and dwarf puffers.

Dino
Some of those nice, high end guppies from Dino's fishhouse.

hehehe.

GreenMan13
Have you considered dwarf puffers?

30G - heavy planted with live plants and dwarf puffers.

I second the puffer idea. I would do that if I had another tank with room.

Coryd55
How many puffers can you put in a heavily planted 30.

That's nice to know that you would suggest Lake Malawi(they are my favorite )

Hehe Dino that sounds like a novel idea but I am pushing it already with 4 tanks running and 1 waiting for fish and supplies. On top of that a 60 dollar fish hehe.

Also if I heavily planted the 30G would low light work or would I need to go higher also would I need eco complete or will sand do ok?

Thanks for all of the input!

Coryd55
The dimensions of the larger tank are. 30in long. 12 1/4 in wide. 19in tall. So if my calculations are correct it is 30 gallons? I am checking the dimensions on the smaller tank them......it doesn't seem right. The smaller tank has the exact same dimensions??? You can tell by looking at them that there is a size difference.....I'll post later if I figure this out.

atmmachine816
Senegal Bichir in 30 gallon tank.

Coryd55
Hehe I thought they needed quite a large tank and are pretty tricky to take care of?

Well it turns out that they are both 30 and also proves that optical illusions do exist! Well I determind that since the one which I thought was smaller is on a black stand and is lower to the ground it appears smaller. Also the "larger" one has a gold stripe(on my wall) visible through the back of the tank, making it look longer. Also it is on a wooden stand and is higher up. I had my mom double check the measurements and they were identical.

So I have two 30G tanks haha. Any new ideas? Can I still do a cichlid tank or is 30G to small for anything worth while.

MudHog
dwarf puffer to look up info. on them.

That site says 3 gallons per fish and to keep 2f/1m. Now, I wouldn't go and keep 10 of them, but I'm thinking (6) would be a good number. The more plants the better to break up the line of sight.

I'll let someone else handle the eco-complete / sand question. Also that site shows the dwarf puffer native plants if you wanted to use something they are used to seeing in real life. Worst case, you can do fake plants if you wanted to.

atmmachine816
senegal bichirs need a 36" long tank which is a 30 gallon tank and they aren't too hard to take care of, just a very unusual looking fish.

Coryd55
They say 90G but I heard minimum is 55.......

MelyBu
Orandas and Moors, of course!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JB92668
Top Bottom